Sidemount and Stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ianr33

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Have only done a handful of sidemount dives that included a stage or deco tank (apart from O2) Up until recently I have always slung them the standard backmount way which puts them underneath the sidemount tanks.That works OK although it is a bit more difficult to clip/unclip stages than it is in backmount. Also not the most compact setup in anything that is the least bit tight and the stages have a habit of clanking on the sidemount tanks.

Recently started playing around with putting stages on top of the sidemounts as described in a DiveRite Video.
YouTube - Nomad sidemount stage bottle setup

Also YouTube - Sidemount scooter diving with double stages headed to cave.

It takes a bit of practice but once I started to get the hang of it I really like it. Feels very snug and compact. Only problem is that with a stage on only one side I feel off balance and roll to that side. (presumably because the tank is much further out than it is when hanging below)

Any suggestions to fix that? Carrying 2 stages,one on each side is my best solution so far.

I've really never had a problem with one stage one side rolling me in that direction unless it is a steel 72. Is the tail of the tank tight with your body,or is it floating out to the side?

Edd Sorenson developed this style of mounting your stage above your sidemount bottles. Last year at the Dive Rite demos days in Marianna he and Lamar did a presentation on this and Dive Rite has started promoting this. If you can't get it how you want it, give Edd a call at Cave Adventurers. He is alway so very helpful.

Where on the tank do you have your bottom clip? I position mine pretty close to the top od the tank and use thick bungee. This keeeps the tank pulled down and snug right in between my steel bottle and my body.

Edd Sorenson developed this style of mounting your stage above your sidemount bottles.

This has actually been done for sometime,with some interesting variations that weren't overly successful.

Where on the tank do you have your bottom clip? I position mine pretty close to the top od the tank and use thick bungee. This keeeps the tank pulled down and snug right in between my steel bottle and my body.

There is a way of rigging a tank neck ring between the tank and sidemount rig that will allow a great snug attachment point and prevents the tank from floating up or away.

15 inches above the bottom of the tank as suggested in the Diverite video.Thick bungeee held in place by a hose clamp.

The bungee could be an inch shorter. Also I think the clamp could go a little higher so the tank is further down my body.

Will be playing with it again this weekend. I can tell its a great system.Just needs a bit of tweaking.

I borrowed a stage this past weekend that was set up the same way Edd rigs them, I liked it better than the standard BM way. I was only using one stage and it didn't tip me off balance at all.

15 inches above the bottom of the tank as suggested in the Diverite video.Thick bungeee held in place by a hose clamp.

The bungee could be an inch shorter. Also I think the clamp could go a little higher so the tank is further down my body.

Will be playing with it again this weekend. I can tell its a great system.Just needs a bit of tweaking.

I've never measured mine. And what works for me may not work for someone else. I'm not a fan of exact numbers or set ups when it comes to rigging gear. It has to be what works for you. I give my students as many variations as possible and recommend they find the one the works for them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom