Blue Heron Bridge - History Dive - 12-13-09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BHB ScubaTroll

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Greetings!

Destruction/Construction of the new east span of the Blue Heron Bridge is scheduled to begin on Monday, December 14, 2009!

Diving the east span will never be the same once they begin construction. It's unlikely that the current artificial reef will remain intact (sunken boats, debris fields, etc)

Who's up for a picnic day at the park followed by a final historic dive of the "old east span"?

High tide is 5:49 PM. I am working with ForceE to get a night dive permit that will allow us to continue our dive into the twilight and exit the dive after dark. Even if we cannot get a permit, I plan to be on this historic final dive of the "old east span" (there is no final date for construction to end... or a date when divers can dive the east span... est. 2 years)
====

SUNDAY DECEMBER 13, 2009
POT LUCK PICNIC AND HISTORIC DIVE
AT BLUE HERON BRIDGE

The plan:
  • Picnic will start at 10:30 AM
  • Enter the water 4:45 - 5:15 PM and dive until?
I will bring charcoal and a case of burgers. I'll get the grills started and get some burgers on the grill.

LET'S GET OUT AND GIVE THE EAST SPAN
THE SEND OFF IT DESERVES!​

Who's in and what will you bring? :wink:

If I am not out of town for work I might just be able to attend

Jim,

If I were in FL, you know I would be there. Unfortunately, I am in the cold country until the 20th or so.

:dance3: I am so glad that I am coming to Florida this week. :dance:

I'll confirm with my buddies today but I think we will be in as well.
I will post again when I have an idea of what we will bring.

OK, I got with ForceE today (just over the bridge from Blue Heron). There's no problem with them pulling a permit for us!

We are good to complete our dive after twilight!

The rules for the night dive permit are interesting... only because a dive shop submits for the permit and everyone diving is covered under ForceE's liability insurance...

Because we will be covered under their insurance all who will be making the dive will need to pay ForceE $10 to cover that insurance (no big deal in my opinion)... AND, they request a minimum of 10 people (or, basically $100 minimum for the request)

So, we need a minimum of 10 divers to pull the permit through ForceE and all divers will need to pay the $10 fee (even 11, 12, 13 etc. to cover ForceE's liability insurance)

I'm good with those parameters... Now...

Who's ready to picnic
and
make BHB dive history?

Thanks for doing the leg work on this Jim. I appreciate it.

You can count 4 of us to be at the bridge for sure. Cant say for sure what time we will get there but we should be able to make it for the BBQ before the dive.

As for what to bring, we can do grab and go food (chips/salsa/dip/water) since we are not local and probably wont be able to cook anything major given our schedule. Let me know what is needed and we should be able to pick up extras from the grocery on our way to the bridge.

I can't make a commitment right now...if my foster dog is adopted on Friday (he has an interested party and we are making a home visit) then I don't have to attend an adoption event with him Sunday afternoon. I am very interested...but not a yes yet.

Well, obviously, my $10 is assumed, though I won't be diving at that time (brr for me). I'm sure I can kick in the other portions of the cookout part.....fixins, buns, etc. And, I have plenty of the leftover dry goods from the Thanksgiving cookout, so plates, napkins, etc. are ok too.
Lucky, we can work out whatever when the time comes, one way or another. I can get everything and split costs, or tell you the closest places to pick up stuff nearby; whatever works. Looks like you're going to get to know us awfully well next weekend!! :D (Insert evil laugh here, while rubbing hands together and plotting witch-y things...)....

Has anyone thought of making some commemorative T shirts for this occasion?
If I had the time, I'd do it......but I don't.
If someone does print shirts, count me in for two.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom