Custom wetsuit - Boggled by neoprene types sold by different custom wetsuit companies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Sparkle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm just a day or so away from ordering a custom wetsuit (going diving in a few weeks!), and, after having checked the various custom makers websites, searched the archives here, and etc. I just don't know what to think! :confused:

I made a previous thread or two on other aspects of the wetsuit choice (thanks for everyone's input), but now I'm down to the wire, and have to decide to which company to order from. That leads me to.....

I'm confused about the varying types of neoprene they have, and how to realistically compare them. :idk:

1) I read everyone saying Rubatex is the best, which seems to indicate Wetwear. But then in reading a post in the archives from Wetwear themselves, they suggested their non-Rubatex neoprene for recreational use. Not that the Rubatex isn't the best, but they say it's about double the cost of their other neoprene, (which probably puts it out of my range). Also, they say their more economical neoprene is still tested to 80 feet with no compression, which will probably do me quite well (Rubatex is rated to 500 feet -- I won't be needing that anytime soon!).

On the other hand, I just am not fond of the stripe/swoosh/panel patterns Wetwear shows for women. They're just too girly/vampy looking for me. Not that it's about looks, but OTOH if I'm buying a custom suit, I don't want to actively dislike the way it looks either. I haven't ruled them out, mind you, but am considering my options (for, oh..... another 24 hours).

Okay, so if I'm not getting Rubatex, then there are a few other custom makers that have been recommended here.

2) Aquaflite.
I don't see where they say what their base neoprene is, but they advertise a liner of "Oceanliner with Titanium," which is supposed to be warmer and stretchier (I think there is no cloth liner then). The patterns look acceptable. Compression :confused:

3) Horizon/New Wave
Their "better" recommended neoprene is "Titex Plush" which has some kind of terry type lining, and nylon exterior. I like the look of the fit and panels of the suits on their site, and I get a good feeling about the company. But... neoprene compression :confused: And what about that "plush" liner. Is it nicer to put on for the second dive?

4) Liquid Fit
I think I've ruled them out, because the neoprene is of the super stretchy type, and I wasn't keen on the fit of some of the suits they show on their web page, plus semi-new ownership. (They might be fine; but I have to rule in or out somehow.)

Just for background info, I think I'm going to get a 3mm jumpsuit, back zip; and then a 3mm shorty, front zip, plus a hood and socks. The combo will be for diving Florida this winter (75º) and the jumpsuit will be for diving or snorkeling Florida or Caribbean in summer (80º to 85º). I'm a chilly gal :)

Thank you for any light you can shed on this. Either concrete info or questions I should be asking. I know I could call and ask the makers more about their neoprene, but it would be good to know what to be looking for.

B.

PS: The crazy thing is that I used to make my own wetsuits for kayaking. We just butt-glued the seams and even glued in the zippers. There wasn't even cloth on the outside of the neoprene, and it was all black. We used regular clothing patterns from sewing stores to make the shapes (vest, shorts, booties, etc.) Ahh, the Good Olde Dayes :dork2:

Rubatex GN-231 will be warmer and will last twice as long. It may cost more ... it's worth every penny,

Hi Thalassamania, and thanks for your input. I agree that the Rubatex sounds fabulous, and although I am typically more than willing to spend some extra money for better quality, there are two reasons I have (probably) ruled out the Rubatex.

1) A friend is buying the suit for me for a Christmas present, so I don't want to buy one that is double the cost of the typical one;

2) What really caused me to re-think the Rubatex (as I was sold on it from reading your endorsement of it in posts I had searched) was a post by Kristi from Wetwear, when she was responding to another board member's question. Here's the question and her response:

You advertise Wetwear Nitrogen Neoprene in your Sport Diver section, and the Rubatex G-231N Neoprene in your Commercial/Cave/Technical section. Do you not recommend the G-231N for Sport Divers? Does it weigh so much more and/or is stiffer?

The Nitrogen neoprene we offer in the sport diving section is rated to 80 feet before it receives compression and is a little more affordable than the G231. The G231 is rated to 500 feet before it receives compression. The G231 material is not much stiffer in a 3mm, but it is almost double the price.

They say this on their website:

Wetwear NCN (nitrogen composed neoprene)
Excellent for sport diving to depths of 130 feet
Nylon two

Rubatex G-231N nitrogen blown neoprene (the very finest neoprene made)
Excellent for extremely deep diving to depths in excess of 400 feet
Nylon two

So between that and the cost being double, I had figured that if I bought from Wetwear, I would get the Wetwear NCN (which is nitrogen but not Rubatex). I think that no compression to 80 feet and suitability to 130 feet would work well for me for the foreseeable future (probably won't be going to depths in excess of 400' very soon!)

So then it becomes a question of how do the other custom makers' neoprenes compare to Wetwear's "NCN." That is what I'm trying to figure out, and so I thought I'd see if the membership here had any input or information :idk:

B.

PS: Thalassamania, I'm curious about your location. Sounds interesting!

chamber-left.jpg

From here ... Wetwear - Hyperbaric Chamber Test Wet Suits for Neoprenes - How does yours hold up?

I, personally, would want the Rubatex G-231 , but ... that's because I dive cold water, and our wrecks here are at about 80ft .. suit compression and warmth are a greater consideration.
If it was a gift from someone ... I'm thinking that I might be more amendable to the NCN neoprene (or maybe try to come up with the difference in the price between the two types)

You could ask Pete (NetDoc) about his suit, he has hundreds of dives on it and I hear that it's almost like new

About the suit colors ... you can get all black if that's what you want

(by the way .. I've seen that pressure test in person, with other brands neprene blends, at depth of just 30ft you can lose a not insignificant amount of thermal protection, at 60ft it's considerable ... it's pretty convincing)

EDIT: Phishie below has a good point, I missed the 3mm part of your post (although, if your doing many dives in a day, that thermal differeance will come into play) I think you'll be more than happy with the NCN

Last edited:
Your profile says < 25 dives so I'm going to assume you're doing single tank diving of less than 130 ft. And you're getting a 3mm for diving in Florida and the Caribbean.

I'm fairly inexperienced myself but at this point I don't think the differences in thermal protection between a cheap suit and an expensive one are going to make much of a difference at all (especially on a 3mm shorty) with the depth/duration/temperatures you're diving in.

Just buy a cheap one and save your money for an more expensive 7mm when you start doing more local Ocean City/Quarry diving in cooler waters. It's really not that cold in the summer :)

"1) A friend is buying the suit for me for a Christmas present, so I don't want to buy one that is double the cost of the typical one;"

Well if you were a guy, and I were you, I'd buy a Giorgio Armani suit, and put a few drops of water on it just to say it's wet. :D

I'm real happy with my 7 mm Farmer John SemiDry from AquaFlite. It's kept me warm in 45 degree water many a time. Also, it was made and delivered extremely fast. Ordered on a Monday and delivered by Friday that same week.

It's been two years and many dives and still going strong.

I think you're over thinking the wetsuit thing a bit too much.

If you're profile is correct, you're not diving a lot and you're not diving locally.

I'd suggest a 3mm full suit and if you're chilly, get yourself a hooded vest as well.

I wouldn't obsess about the materials as I would obsess about the fit.

A custom fit suit is great, but if you don't need one, spend the money on getting more dives in.

WetWear has some other great advantages....

The system they use for sizing, measuring and fitting you is the shiznitz, many steps- all the way down to them sending you the 'basted together' suit for a final try before they finish it.

They can alter the suit dramatically as you... ahem... age.

The i/o carpet padded knee areas have saved my skin... literally!

The one they make with full length arm and leg zippers- gusseted with a wedge of lycra.... these suits go on in less than 30 seconds- even in a small open boat that's rocking!

Christi knows her stuff.

I was in similar situation a a year ago. Had no idea what custom suit to go for. I was gravitating towards Rubatex but there was one major drawback. Being a weight-lifting athlete, my body measurements and weight fluctuates. Two months ago I weighed 180 lbs and now I weigh 200 lbs. In the summers, I will once again be down to my summer weight of 180 lbs. Rubatex has no stretchability! it becomes useless if you gain 20 lbs. I gave up the idea of buying a custom suit and got myself a 3mm bare wetsuit with maximum stretch. I have done 20 dives on it and it has not lost its stretch so far. At 130 dollars, even if it does loose its stretch, I would be happy to throw it and get a new one. By the end of the day, I feel that if you are a recreational diver, unless you have exaggerated measurements, a rubatex suit is not fundamental to your diving needs. Furthermore after gaining or loosing a few pounds the custom suit will not be as "custom" as your paid for. Thats just my thoughts :)

Cheers -

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom