sidemount regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

karstdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I thought I would open a new thread on regulator choices. I have been sidemounting for quite a few years,and have seen many debates about regulator choices. Since I dive some sites where tank removal is necessary,or place my tanks in a muddy swampy area to prepare to dive ,I have certain regulator requirements. No regulator with an exposed ambient chamber ie Scubapro,and a very simple 2nd stage with very few o-rings. My preference is the Sherwoods since they have the dry bleed,and simple 2nd stages like the Dive Rite 1210. What do you use? Why?

Kelly, you are indeed right about exposed ambient chambers. I was in an old river (panhandle) cave last year and the first stage started to freeflow badly. I dive Scubapros. Fortunately I carry spares and I was able to change first stages and was able to get back to diving in a few minutes.

I learned a long time ago to rinse my regs well even in "freshwater springs". As you say, low flow, silty, removing bottles to get through restrictions, can dirty first stages fast. But after this I had the first stage looked at and it looked like I had never cleaned it. I now use Dow Corning 111 silicone and fill the first stage's ambient chamber. It has worked for almost a year without having to rebuild early. I am probably gonna buy DR regs this coming year and sell my SP's as I have too many sets to just hang on to.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom