Buying a Compass out of your Zone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interceptor121

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I teach in Egypt and do most of my diving in tropical waters when I go fun diving. My Zone 1 Suunto SK7 tilts slightly in Egypt but still works however it did let me down in Thailand and in South Africa.
I though therefore of getting a zone 2 and a zone 4 but I have not found any shop, online or off line that can sell me anything different than a zone 1.
Anybody has the same issue and has found a solution?
The zone 2 compass in Egypt cost 50€ which is 25% more than what I pay in UK or Italy hence the question

I don't have answer to your question and it's probably too late anyway... but you help me answer what I was looking for.

I have a Suunto SK7 compass for a zone 1 and was wondering if it'll be any useful when diving in Thailand. I guess I can just leave it home now:wink:

Thanks, Rich

I'm looing for Zone 5 or 4 in a pinch if anyone finds a source!

I'm looing for Zone 5 or 4 in a pinch if anyone finds a source!

Any aqualung dealer in Oz can get you a Suunto SK7 zone 5 compass. eg., you could try the guys at Dive Dive Dive.

I tried a couple of Brissie dealers already and they want to sell me a complete wrist mount or a console mount and all I want is the compass module itself - frustrating as I don't really want to pay for a part I'm just going to throw away!

Thats unfortunate, because you're very unlikely to source a zone 5 from OS. Also, if you ever see yourself diving in Vic. or Tassi as well as Qld. you're going to need a zone 5.

Next suggestion, give Aquanaut, the Aqualung distributor in Oz a call & ask them where you could get a naked compass module. Of course there's always the possibility that Aquanaut simply refuse to supply their dealers with the module alone.

Apparently there are some UK dealers who can source any zone needed.

Was hoping this might prompt an answer as to who!

Already tried Aquanaut - they were their usual unhelpful selves!

Ok, I have to ask, what is with the different zones for the compasses? I have not heard of this before. Thanks

As they're now allowing internet sales & competitive pricing I was hoping they may have changed. Apparently not though, still the same old Aquanuts.

Good luck with the hunt for a zone 5 OS. The SK7 is the only piece of Aqualung equipment I'v sourced in Oz in over a decade.

WetRookie here you go:

Compass Balancing

The horizontal and vertical components of the earth's magnetic field vary considerably in different locations. For this reason Suunto compasses are balanced for 5 different zones. If the compass is used in an adjacent balancing zone, many compass pointers will tilt only slightly. However, the farther a compass is used from its correct zone, the more its pointer tilts. In extreme cases, the pointer will stick. For this reason, it is extremely important to know in which country a compass will be used.

Map at bottom of this link shows why we need zone 5 in Australia"

Suunto - Suunto SK-7 Dive Compass

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom