Not another split fin thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ghanu

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I recently certified OW, I have since made 15 dives, drift dives at Boynton Beach, boat dives in the keys and spring dives. Since my training I have used SP Twin Jet Max fins and found them very comfortable and seemingly adequate in a mild current. I recently did a pool session with an instructor who let me try his Mares Excel + fins and I found them to have a lot more propulsion and much better at the frog kick than my splits so I bought a pair. On my first dive with them my foot cramped 3 times, this never happened with my splits. I am wondering if it is just a case of me getting stronger or getting used to the Mares or should I try a less stiff fin or just stick with my SP's. :idk:

cramping is evidence of either poor circulation (due to poor fit) or overuse injuries. since both of those fins require you to kick with your knees and calves, cramping in both your calves and instep are likely. ** of course, there are other medical issues that can result in cramping**

getting stronger and relaxing (kicking less) will both occur with more dives. BTW- the Excels do not in any way shape or form provide more propulsion, you just feel more resistance in your legs more and your brain is telling you that means more propulsion. In reality, your brain is translating years of training from walking and running and it does not correlate to swimming effectiveness. They are however better suited for a frog kick if you must use it.

there are lots of options out there, try lots of them for 5+ dives each before you spend your money.

if you decide you have to frog kick- most anything from the Mares line is acceptable and you can still flutter effectively. Jets (and all their clones) really suck at flutter but are the standard for frog kicking.

if you want easy going efficiency that will do everything you will ever want out of a fin (except really good frog kick) get the Force Fin Pro

if you decide that you have to have a split- there are really only two options worth your time- Foil Force Fin, or its rip off the Apollo Bio-Fin. All others are nothing but marketing claims all based on the exact same patent and produced under license.

I dtto the above! FF's
See you topside! John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom