North Red Sea Trip Questions and Shore Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kogara

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
My son and I are travelling to Egypt this April and will be spending some time in the Sinai. We have a four day liveaboard scheduled but I am also interested in some shore diving from Sharm el Sheikh and/or Dahab. Does anyone know if you can just rent tanks and weights from a dive shop and shore dive without guides? It looks like most shops offer guided shore dives for about the same price as day boat trips but I prefer to dive on my own schedule and at my own pace? Also, what wetsuit would you recommend for 4 days of liveaboard diving around Sharm el Sheikh in early April? I am considering a 5mm full or a 3mm farmer john? I usually dive tropical and tend to get cold in a 3/2mm full after multiple dives in water under 80 degrees. Any answers or other recommendations for the trip will be greatly appreciated it.

Regarding the shore diving in Sharm, it exists but Dahab offers better shore diving. You can have a look at Dahab sites at SCUBA diving holidays in Dahab, South Sinai, Red Sea, Egypt

Regarding the diving without guide, some centers allow it only on their house reef. And still you have to pay the dive's price so paying for rented tanks only is non existing.

Dahab is laid back and you can schedule your guided dives as you like. A good guide will always be at your own pace. PM me if you need help with that.

Regarding the wet suit, I'd go with the 5mm full.

Hi Kogara
There are two beaches you can dive off in Sharm, one is Naama Bay and the other is Sharks Bay. Generally speaking in Sharm nobody just gives you tank and weights as there are a lot of banana boats, or diving boats on the surface so you just don't send people out on their own without a guide, besides on the dive in Naama Bay you would get lost because navigation is difficult and risk to ascent in the wrong place. In terms of wetsuits the water temperature would be around 23-24C and outside air temperature in the high 20 so I would recommend at least a full 5mm with an undervest or a 7 mm especially if you feel the cold. I actually work in a dive shop in Naama Bay but don't want to do advertising so you can pm me if you need specific info

Thanks to both of you for the quick reply! It sounds like Dahab would be the better location to shore dive. Since guides are necessary, I would be open to any recommendations of guides and/or shops in the area. Could I just rent a car and drive from Sharm to Dahab or would you recommend another method to get there?

club-red.com are reasonable and can arrange transfers too. i wouldn't bother with sharm unless you like being hassled and treated like cattle!

Go to Dahab if you want shore dives, the best sites in my opinion are:
Abu Helal
Abu Talha
Islands
Ras umm sid
(Bells/Blue hole/Ricks reef to Canyon, if you have not been there before you have to do these three "classics")

the correct price for a minivan from Sharm to dahab is 200 EGP.
Dining: a lot of ****ty restauramts in Dahab, sorry.
Thai: Blue House
Ïtalian: Three fishes (no alcohol, but home made pasta)
+2 more I cant rememeber the name of sorry, they are towards the lighthouse along the beach)
A nice fish restaurant in the center, fisrt floor luch place, maybe someone else can help out with the name)
Stay away from the places in the center close to the beach. (Funny Mummy etc) they are all crap.
I am a chef so I am a bit picky though..

diving: bigBlue is a good operation.

Enjoy your stay
Martin

As with Martin' and Red' Dahab is brilliant for Shore (and some boat) diving. In fact Superb.

Take a cab from Sharm to Dahab. Pay around 30 to 40 USD.

For diving in Dahab, PM or email me.

I wouldn't rent a car. To get to the dive sites you need pre-prepared permission slips, that the local dive centres organise.
Also you will understand why you don't want to drive when you see how the locals drive.. Let's put it this way they have their own err style :D

You MUST have a local dive guide to dive in Dahab, but then again it's far safer that way and they will know the best spots.
Ideally get someone from Dahab, to pre-book a local cab driver for you.. Sharm airport can be a bit of a scrum... especially if you haven't been there before.
If you need I have a few local reliable taxi numbers (used them many a time) but I'm sure Red has too..

Another tip is if you are diving in Dahab or Sharm you do not need any extra "locally bought" visa. They try and get all visitors to buy one at the airport. Extra cash for the local economy I guess :no:

Just miss the queues of holidaymakers and head for passport control..:D

Thanks to all for your input. I am arranging tranfers from Sharm to Dahab with the hotel in Dahab - so no rental car. As for diving, I am thinking of going on the camel dive safari to Ras Abu Galum. I've read good things about the diving there and the camel trip has got my son excited. We'll see if his enthusiasm stays after an hour ride on the camel.

Back
Top Bottom