Driving from Miami Int'l to Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deac in the Wake

Contributor
Reaction score
I'll be driving down from Miami to Largo this Friday afternoon. Any suggestions as to taking US1/South Dixie Hwy versus the Toll Road? I have plenty of time and don't mind a little added time, especially if I don't have to stop and toss coins. But Fridays can be "special" when it comes to afternoon commutes so a little local advice is always welcome.

If you're driving to Largo, why not land in Tampa or St. Pete? Much closer than MIA.

I'm assuming you mean Key Largo, FL and not Largo, FL.

The toll road is our preferred highway, as there are no traffic lights and limited access so the trip goes quicker. There are only three tolls between Miami and Homestead where you drop onto Route 1.

Don't want to stop for tolls? Pick up a pre-paid Sunpass at just about any supermarket or drugstore and zip right on thru.

Stop by and visit us at Amoray Dive Resort at mile marker 104 - there are 28 of us from Indian Valley Scuba coming down for a weekend of great diving (14 dives over 3 days), dockside barbecue, Christmas Boat Parade, and then heading to Key West on Monday to dive the Vandenberg and Curb.

Touche on Largo vs Key Largo. Around our dive group, we just call Key Largo, "Largo." It's lazy and confusing and no offense intended to Largo friends and residents.

So I'm indeed heading to KEY Largo. Thanks for the invite but I'm heading to Its a Dive for three days of pretty much the same. Though we're staying local, no trip to Key West.

Thanks for the info.

Understood on the local vernacular; it's an easy trap to fall into.

If you'd like to consider having your group join ours on a future trip shoot me a note - our trips are $750 for 4 nights accomodations and 12 dives (that's three days of 2-tank trips morning & afternoon) plus we control the boat itinerary so we know where we're heading each day. It's tough to beat those numbers for anyone serious about diving in Key Largo.

You're still welcome to come down and enjoy our BBQ with us Saturday night as we watch the boat parade. You can reach me on my cell 215-806-5340.

You can see all our trips for 2010 here.

Dave

Buy the SunPass. You can get them at any Publix or CVS.
There is a Publix right at the exit of SW 8th Street on the Turnpike, or right after you get your car at the Official Airport of Hell, on the south side of the southern boundary of the whole mess, there is Red Road. Head a little south on that to NW 7th and you'll a Publix on the SW side.
After that, go a little farther south on Red Road to SW 8th Street and make a right to go the Crawlmetto Expressway and go south which will take you to the Turnpike and away from the Nightmare-Known-As-Dade county.
You do not want to get your carcass stuck in the toll plazas full of speeding, armed idiots too stupid to have SunPass.

Buy the SunPass. You can get them at any Publix or CVS.
There is a Publix right at the exit of SW 8th Street on the Turnpike, or right after you get your car at the Official Airport of Hell, on the south side of the southern boundary of the whole mess, there is Red Road. Head a little south on that to NW 7th and you'll a Publix on the SW side.
After that, go a little farther south on Red Road to SW 8th Street and make a right to go the Crawlmetto Expressway and go south which will take you to the Turnpike and away from the Nightmare-Known-As-Dade county.
You do not want to get your carcass stuck in the toll plazas full of speeding, armed idiots too stupid to have SunPass.

I'm gonna call Governor Tanning Booth and nominate you for Florida Tourism Ambassador

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I work at MIA, and you will be facing a challange driving that route on Friday at rush hour. DO NOT take I-95 all the way to US 1 to get to KL. The local traffic and stop lights between I-95 and Florida City may take 1-2 hours (or more). I assume you are picking up your rental car from the airport. You will take a bus from MIA to the rental car location. What I would do is follow the signs to SR 836 west to the Florida Turnpike. Ask the agent for a map with directions. Be patient, there is a lot of traffic on this road at this time of day, but it's your best route. Go south on the Turnpike,take the Turnpike to its end where it meets US 1. Then you are on your way to the Promised Land.

As for buying a Sunpass transponder, it will take you more time and aggrivation to find a Publix, wait in line, and fight the crowd on Friday, than to pay the three tolls on the Turnpike. You can also buy a transponder at the Turnpike rest stop south of the first toll booth.

Of course, you can do what all the "undocumented visitors" do, and smear some mud on the license plate and cruise through the Sunpass lanes unpaid. Wear sunglasses and deny any responsibility.
DMdoogie

Umm, guys, while a Sunpass is a wonderful hing---you still have to either call or get to a computer and get it set up, authorize your credit card, etc., correct? Just a little more to it......

I've been waiting for someone to bring this up. Even the MiniPass has to be activated and it can take several hours before it is active. Also, people say you get the $4.99 in toll credit but that is only if you put a minimum $10.00 starting balance on it.
IMO....not worth it for a couple day trip.
http://www.sunpass.com/MiniWebPDF_E.pdf
FYI....these days a lot of the rental cars come with a SunPass you can opt to use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom