Graf Zeppelin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was reading this quarter's Wreck Diving Magazine, and there was a nice article in there about an expedition to the Graf Zeppelin by the Polish navy. The article finished by saying how because it was a Soviet war wreck, it was almost impossible to get permission to dive it, and it was only because it was Polish navy, etc., etc.

But then I read online that a UTD team dived the wreck in May 2009? Does anyone know the story?

Graff Zeppelin expedition, you refer to, was actually organized under auspices of Maritime Office in Gdynia Poland which is in charge of issuing permits to dive any wreck in polish economic zone. Sebastian (expedition head honcho) and Baltic Wreck Society have a good relationship with this institution and are often asked to survey wrecks to assess if the should be open to general public.

I believe that one of the outcomes of this expedition was that wreck is now open to general public

I follow - so the two expeditions were actually one and the same expedition.

Sounds like an amazing wreck to dive if you don't mind freezing cold water.

Back
Top Bottom