Retractors are they worth the money

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skinsfan0260

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have an Aeris Atmos AI computer and have always done the tuck thing, but I also find myself spending a lot of time glancing down to ensure that I am not dangling, and have from time to time found it dangling more than I like. So I have considered buying a retractor. However I get the feeling from some of the posts I have read that this may be added to my list of things I wish I never purchased. My LDS will order me in one AKA you pay me now and take the risk that it is what you really want. This along with the fact that I am Canadian which means I get the privilege of paying four time what it would cost on line makes me hesitant to run out and grab one for me and my wife. So are they worth having or not. If so what kind would you recommend.

I had one and eventually ditched it and went with a bolt snap and a piece of thin bungee

No. I have seem them snag around descent lines during strong currents and present a problem during wreck diving, I wouldn't use them if I got them for free. That being said, simple bungee or a clip attached to your hose/gauge via zip tie and clip does the trick

My wife insists on having one for her SPG. It still dangles like crazy because the retractor and mounting straps are a few inches long.

I have taken the 'snap bolt to the left hip D-ring' approach. This works well for an SPG because I only need to glance at it every once in awhile. I don't know whether it is workable for an AI computer. Probably not.

Is it worth shortening the hose and continuing with the 'tuck' thing? Sometimes the hose is quite long so that it is easy to use the compass. Well, a compass on the wrist is a better idea.

My wife insists on one of those compasses with the integrated retractor. This almost makes sense when mounted to the upper right D ring. But it still dangles...

Richard

My last computer was an Aeries AI. I ran the hose down the left side & used a retractor to clip it to my right top d-ring.
It worked really well. I used it for at least 300 dives, never had any problem with snagging, even in strong currents, or in wrecks. If you decide to use a retractor, just make sure its heavy duty enough to handle the weight of the console....

Go to Home Depot (or whatever equivalent hardware store you have in your area) and buy some mason's twine and a couple SS bolt snaps. From there it's pretty self-explanatory I think. I braid the mason's twine to a length of about 4" or so. One end to the bolt snap, the other to my console/SPG/whatever.

The retractors are more hassle than they're worth IMO.

another vote for the bolt snap and left hip d-ring or even the right shoulder d-ring (if I am not taking my camera) as this holds it nice and tight.

My husband keeps his Cobra clipped off with a boltsnap tied on with a bit of cave line. Seems to work.

There's lots of solutions, a retractor works for some people. I've used one for years and like it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom