Depo Bay, Newport Or.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danno

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Going to be in Depoe Bay in Sept and see there is some diving locations in Depoe Bay and Newport. I cannot however find any dive shops that rent gear or put together trips. Any help?

I haven't been there for years but the diving doesn't change. Depoe Bay is a hard place to dive. There were some fishing boats that took divers out and a couple of small dories but be really careful as the conditions can be extremely harsh.! There are no operators in Depoe Bay but there is or was a small shop in Lincoln City that ran charters and a shop on the south jetty at Newport. The rental equipment was generally a bunch of crap and the owner has a real ego problem but he's about the only game in town. If you don't know someone that can show you around I would forget diving there. It's pretty tough to say the least. Average viz in the jetty is 3-5 feet and off shore on a good day you might be able to have 30-40' but good days only come around about every 3-4 years. I have hundreds of dives off the Oregon coast but unless you want to get really beat up, I'd pass. There is some great seafood restaurants in the area and a fantastic aquarium in Newport. Good luck.

Here is some information that might help. We just got back from diving in Newport Bay and Netarts, which is just south of Tillamook. Vis wasn't great, but attributed it to the time of year. Crabbing was still a lot of fun. I don't believe there is a dive shop in Lincoln City anymore, but still one in Newport, under the bridge.

http://www.scubanw.com/oregon/index.htm

Bill.

Thanks to both of you for info. I'll take a look under the bridge and see if I can find the dive shop. I am always game for a new dive spot and if I get tossed about a little (or a lot), at least I can say 'been there and done that'.
Dan.

Did you every find a operator to take you out at Depoe Bay?

Nope, never did. Just got back from there a couple weeks ago. Will be heading there again in a couple months. Anybody diving that. Area now?

Haven't found anyone yet, but will let you know if I do.

The Miss Raven occasionally runs dive charters out of Newport- I went once and it was a well-run operation. There's another operator at Garibaldifishingcharters.com. I don't have any personal experience with them, but a few dive clubs book charters so they can't be too bad. It might be worth contacting charter operators directly- if you can fill a boat they'll probably be up for whatever. The downside is that handling divers is specialized knowledge that they may not have. I'm fortunate in that there's a couple of boats in my group, so I manage a few trips a year, typically out of either Coos Bay or Newport. I have to add that if you have the skills to handle the conditions, offshore Oregon should be on any diver's bucket list. When it's good, it's phenomenal.

Forgot to add- there's a dive shop in the South Beach area of Newport- I believe it's a new within the last few years. I've found them to be friendly and helpful.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom