DM candidate looking for advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PiranhaChris

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
So I start my DM training in the Spring. I'm comfortable with all of what I'm gonna have to do. But reguardless I need to get my ass in shape. I hit the Gym now (Planet Fitness is you know the chain) and I mostly Hit the treadmill to drop the LBS.

Anyone have some good suggestions about what I should be doing? (I'm not worried about my leg strength)

If there's someplace you can swim laps I would highly recommend it. Great for diving fitness in general but it can really help you out on the stamina tests. You can get a good idea of what sort of pace you have to maintain to get a decent score. I think a lot of people start out too fast and end up fading toward the end if they aren't used to swimming for exercise. Plus a DM really should just be a fairly strong swimmer anyway in case you need to rescue someone.

Swimming is prob the best exercise you could do for the DM. It builds your endurance, Good cardio and you work all the muscles at once. Good Luck!

Ps. Don't forget to exercise the one between your ears too!:D

Thanks guys. Unfortunately my Gym doesn't have a Indoor Pool.....maybe when the semester starts again I can get in the my schools pool.
What I am doing is hitting the treadmill hard. when I started I (admittedly) struggled to do 1 mile. Now like 2 weeks later I can do 3 miles with ease (and keep going).
Also I've been strengthening my Legs and Abs with weight training.

How does that sound to you guys? Good? How it should be? Give up now? lol

I would say this - weight training: don't use machines, become one. Use free weights. Squats, dead lifts, power cleans, press, etc. Big, powerful, and functional movements build strength, speed, and explosiveness very fast, but don't worry you wont become a power lifter unless you want to! Get some coaching if you are unsure how to properly execute such lifts. A quote I love from a coach, when asked why squat rather than leg press machine, "Comparing a squat to a leg press is like comparing a Belgian truffle to a piece of dog sh_t!"

For "cardio" ... I think you can do a lot better in the same amount of time or likely less. Interval training will do a lot more for you than a boring 30-45min run on a treadmill. Check out this link on HIIT interval training: ~ ~ ~ Body for Life HIIT Training Routine ~ ~ ~

I would caution you to not jump off the deep end if you give a HIIT session a try as they are very taxing if you're willing to put forth the effort. Here's an example of a HIIT session you can do on the life cycle or whatever indoor upright exercise bike your gym has. The recumbent style with feet out front aren't as well suited for this in my experience. Looking at the link above, you'll see how you increase resistance every minute on the minute over a four minute cycle. The goal is to increase work load over that time, so you keep the same cadence (pedal speed). The soccer mom with her book next to you may give you odd looks as you crush the pedals in the last minutes of each cycle. I usually set the resistance quite high so the last minute of each cycle requires me to stand up on the pedals.

Work harder and smarter for best results. Good luck,

I agree with James R and as an Insructor and Paratrooper as well I can tell you that I kicked up my workouts about 3 months in advance and studied a lot during that time and was very prepared and had a great course as well.
Good Luck
Uncle Avi

Swim, Swim, and more swimming. If you can't swim enough then walking is a good substitute. Don't worry about your weight worry about your conditioning. Some extra weight may even be helpful for the treadwater/Float section of your stamina tests.

Look at the TRX. You can check it out at fitnessanywhere.com

This thing works. It's designed to really hit the core muscles, and you will not be upset with the results. Plus, you can take it with you anywhere.
My Det used it all the time on deployment, and one young man told me he used at Pre-BUD/S at Great Lakes.
If you can, find a gym or fitness center that has them available and try it before hand.

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom