Looking for a Dive Buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bionicdiver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Good Morning All. I have recently moved from Pennsylvania to North Carolina and because of this, I have lost my dive buddy. Unfortunately, the wife wouldn't let him move with me.

Since moving here, I have had a difficult time finding a compatible dive buddy.

I have checked out a couple of places for dive buddies, such as the Buddy Finder here on Scubaboard and Divebuddy.com. However, it's kind of hard to break the ice or strike up a conversation.

Does anyone know of any GREAT websites or ideas for finding compatible dive buddies?

Thanks!

Does anyone know of any GREAT websites or ideas for finding compatible dive buddies?

Thanks!

I know of a website which uses a sophisticated search algorithm coupled with a satellite-based nitrox/neoprene detector to identify places where potential dive buddies can be found...

www.MagicDiveBuddyDetector.com

:eyebrow:

You might consider posting an introduction in the NC Wreck Divers forum. I believe there is also a more local bulletin board, but I don't have the URL -- you might PM Jason B or Sparticle Brane and ask them.

My standard advice:
a) Consider joining a local (non-internet) dive club.
b) Establish a relationship with one or more LDS. Ask if they have shop dives. Consider taking additional training there. Ask them where you should look.
c) Look for a local scuba newsletter and/or websites (or local portion on national boards).

yep, ncdivers.com is the local board. also, i think there's a club associated with gypsy in raleigh and down under in cary, and i know there's one (bull city divers) associated with water world in durham.

the ncdivers group dives fantasy lake (rolesville, north of raleigh) most saturdays year 'round, meeting around 10. if you dive wet and don't want to get chilly, just come for meeting folks!

Welcome to the board. Finding a buddy in Raleigh is no problem, there are a lot of active divers in the area. NC Divers is the best place locally to find a buddy, new divers (to diving or just to the area) are always welcome. You can show up at the quarry on most any weekend and find someone to dive with. There are a good many of us on this board and a lot more on NCD. ScottyD, Saxplayer1004 and myself are SB member local to Raleigh and others like Babyduck and JasonB show up at the quarry fairly often plus a host of others. The range of interest range from just plain diving to wreck, cave, rebreathers and vintage. Pretty much anything you might be looking for.
There are 2 clubs in Raleigh/Cary I am aware of. Gypsy still has a club but is has been inactive for a while although they do hold dive events throughout the year. Down Under's club is fairly active, we have monthly meeting on the second Tues of each month except Dec when we have a Christmas party (next Sat) . An average meeting is 40 to 60 divers. We also hold dive events throughout the year including club dive outings once a month from May to Sept. Both shops charter NC dive trips and dive travel. The next event I am aware of will be the New Years day dive at Rolesville quarry. DU, Gypsy and NC Divers are going to be there, perfect time to come meet the locals. You don't have to dive if you choose not to....you can help me guard the coffee and chilli pots. ( and laugh at the blue divers :) )

Everyone else already hit it well. NCdivers.com is a good place to start - wide range of divers and skill - I have learned a lot from the people I have met there. I will be at Fantasy Lake on Jan 1 (maybe even 12-31 as well (carolinadivecenter.com is having an outing). My wife will be topside helping Herman guard the chilli, no cold water diving for her.

She will have company, my wife usually comes as well....and you can be sure she will not be diving....a warm water princess if there ever was one . :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom