good bc to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotty

Reaction score
I am looking for a good bc for a good price. I know, I know you get what you pay for but what is a good price for a good bc and what are your opinions on a good one. I have been looking a rodales tester's choice and wonder what your opinions are. Thanks for helping.

There are many variables when it comes to getting gear, esp BCs. Things like:

- what type of diving you will be doing?
- how often?
- where?
- what type of BC? Back inflation, jacket, or hybrid?
- weight integrated or not?
- price range?

Once you've decided on these variables go use the Rodale's tests to get an idea about what BC you want to try. Then do some actual test drives via a Local Dive Shop by renting some of their gear & seeing whether or not it meets your criteria.

Don't let people talk you into an expensive hi-tech unit unless that is what you are looking for: fancier & bigger are not necessarily better.

Bonne chance,

~SubMariner~

You'll get a ton of answers here. The DIR guys will tell you a backplate/wings config is the way to go, others will have all sorts of other advise.

I like to stick to telling people what *I* like and why:

For "normal" recreational-style diving, I like integrated weights back-style jackets. Weight belts pull you down, the bc pulls you up, and makes trim difficult for me.

I dive a Zeagle Ranger which can be had for a great price at scubatoys.com. It is darn near bullet proof, and with the separate sizing for jacket & cummerbund, it's hard not get an extremely comfortable fit. Zeagle has an excellent warranty. I doubt you'll find many people who have a problem with the performance of a Ranger. (There are those who just don't dive jackets, though) The Ranger is also capable of growing with you. (Can dive doubles, has extra d-rings, supports a crotch strap, etc.) I would recommend getting some trim pouches for the top tank band.

My downsides: It's a bit bulky for travel due to the heavy construction. The LP oral inflater is an unsheilded port. I haven't had it happen, but I would think that this might lead to easier jamming from debris, etc.

Just my 0.02.

Note for other readers: I really don't wanna get flamed for expressing my opinion. Scotty asked for it. If you have constructive, reasoned, criticism about it, by all means, express it here, politely. If you wanna tell me how I suck and my opinions suck, etc. ... keep it on the playground. Sorry, but I'm getting sick of reading narrow-minded, attacking posts that help no-one.

Test driving is not an option as I live 40 miles from nearest dive shop and 350 miles or more from nearest place to dive. I have dove with mainly vest type but I know that I would prefer almost anything. I am just looking for people's opinions on what they like. I dive for rec and right now dive about 6-8 dives a year but hopefully more in the next couple of years. I still want a good bc though as all is important. Thanks

I have a Zeagle Concept II Sport which I don't see on their product page any longer but it's really close to the Escape. I prefer the back inflate to the jacket style. If you have the chance to try a BI, take it!!
Mine is weight-integrated which I don't use but at least I have the option if I so choose.
Zeagles are highly adjustable which is a great feature. I can use it with a 3mil or my drysuit no problemo.

Diverlady

I'm not strictly DIR by any stretch, but I happen to prefer a BP/Harness/Wings set up to either traditional back inflation BC or jacket style. I've dived both in my search for the ideal system prior to getting the BP. What's ideal?: A system which is streamlined, expandable, infintely adjustable, promotes the proper trim and aids rather than complicates buoyancy control. I like a system that I can use in all environments from overhead/technical to rec reef/wreck diving. I found, after much trial and error and wasted $$$$ that the BP/Harness/Wing setup embodied all the qualities I was looking for in a BCD. It is a very simple system that allows me to concentrate on my dives and not on my gear. I found that my skills improved more quickly after my switch from the trad bc to the even more traditional BP/Harness. DSAO :) ZG

Hmm...

You need to dive more.

I'm a BP/wing kinda guy, but I don't think that I would recommend that set up for someone that will be diving ...hmm..can I say...infrequently.

Go with a BC.

I like the Oceanic Chute and the Seaquest Balance but even they might be more than you'll want if your diving is going to be limited.

Do a search here on the board on some BCs that you are interested in.

If you are curious about BP/wings, then you will find all kinds of info here.

SA

Don't I wish. I am trying but time is the problem. Anyway what do you mean by [Oceanic Chute and the Seaquest Balance but even they might be more than you'll want if your diving is going to be limited].

My preference is a back inflate as well. I recently had a chance to dive a BP/wing and was not impressed. Most all of the things you hear about it are true but I found it rather uncomfortable with a 2pc 5mm wetsuit on. I saw very little difference in my trim or weighting requiremnets. Most all my diving is done in warm water with no wetsuit so I can only guess how it would feel there. I know lots of people love them and if I were going to go to doubles, that's what I would get. If you are intersted Halcyon is the best known of the manufactures.

Like any other tool, you have to ask yourself what you really need and how much can you afford to spend. You also have to ask yourself if doubles or drysuits are in your near future. If you are going to be traveling by air, weight and size are a factors you need to consider. If your diving is going to vary a lot, from warm shallow to deep cold, then 2 BCs will be in order if you want optimum performance. For a BP, at least 2 wings and maybe 2 backplates. A heavy duty, high lift BC can be pushed into light duty service but it's not ideal. I do suggest you avoid the "techy" BCs with tons of D-rings and gadgets. They are pricey and no one has figured out what to do with all those D-ring.

For a specific example, I currently dive a Zeagle Scout. It's small, light weight(<4 lbs), well built, fairly inexpensive at around $220 online and is well made. I does have somewhat of a strange intergrated weight system but I only dive 6lbs so that's not much of a concern for me. I have not dove one but lots of people like the Transpac II . It's sort of a soft PB with changable wings, might be worth looking into as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom