Where can you find regulations for your state?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZMA

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all, I was looking on the Illinois DNR website for regulations for gathering aquatic critters, but couldn't find any (I looked under fishing, and under trapping/hunting). Is there any special place to look?

Are the regulations the same as fishing and it's just "common knowledge"?

I'm not nearly scuba-ready yet, but I hope to incorporate this activity into scuba once I become certified and gain some confidence with standard diving.

Thanks,
Z

Contact the management in a large public Aquarium in your state. Some Aquarium's catch their fish in the wild. They will direct you.

I wouldn't necessarily follow this guidance.

Aquariums can get special permission to collect and poses species which are would be illegal for you and I to do.

Contact your DNR. After all, they are the ones who will arrest and prosecute you.

Hi all, I was looking on the Illinois DNR website for regulations for gathering aquatic critters, but couldn't find any (I looked under fishing, and under trapping/hunting). Is there any special place to look?

Are the regulations the same as fishing and it's just "common knowledge"?

I'm not nearly scuba-ready yet, but I hope to incorporate this activity into scuba once I become certified and gain some confidence with standard diving.

Thanks,
Z

Hiya, Z!

I'm with you - couldn't find it on the Illinois DNR site. However, I did notice an "eddress" and phone - I recommend contacting them. It is never safe to assume a law - "regulations the same as fishing and it's just "common knowledge"?". You don't want to find out the hard way.

Good luck, and welcome to ScubaBoard. Check out the "new divers and those considering diving" thread.

Hiya, Z!

I'm with you - couldn't find it on the Illinois DNR site. However, I did notice an "eddress" and phone - I recommend contacting them. It is never safe to assume a law - "regulations the same as fishing and it's just "common knowledge"?". You don't want to find out the hard way.

Good luck, and welcome to ScubaBoard. Check out the "new divers and those considering diving" thread.

Ok, I suppose I'll call up the DNR once I start getting closer to actually going out and collecting.

I've been reading a whole lot more than i've been posting, haha. Especially in the "new divers" thread, and actually, the "incidents and accidents" thread too.

I wouldn't necessarily follow this guidance.

Aquariums can get special permission to collect and poses species which are would be illegal for you and I to do.

Contact your DNR. After all, they are the ones who will arrest and prosecute you.

I definately don't want to be arrested trying to collect animals from the water, I will call them, just when i'm closer to actually collecting, haha.

I'm trying to get all sorts of information, and i've barely started my cert. course :balloons:

Look in fishing regs on legal (or illegal) means for taking fish. Sometimes it's not in a real obvious place. I recommend talking to a game warden or talk to a supervisor or both. Field wardens don't always know. (This is not intended as a slam on wardens). Look in a definitions page.

You may find it's legal but your limited as to what you can take. Then you need to figure out what you can and cannot take. Some states have seasons.

Good luck.

I looked at the link above this is what I found:

SPEARING/BOW AND ARROW FISHING
Carp, carpsuckers, buffalo, sucker, gar
(except alligator gar), and bowfin may be
taken with spear or gig, pitchfork, underwater
spear gun, bow and arrow or archery device.
Spearing/bow and arrow fishing is not permitted
in waters listed in Site Specific
Regulations as “2 Pole and Line Fishing Only”

Looks like a common non-game fish/rough fish limit to me.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom