Votes: 26 12.5%
  • Equal to or less than 160'

Votes: 13 6.3%
  • 170 +

Votes: 40 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIZZY

Registered
Reaction score
What depth would you dive to on Air ? Why?

To clarify: Not as a one time depth due to utter stupidity, just what you think your comfortable with.

No deeper than 100ft for me.....Acually no more than 100ft on any type on mix for me I just to new to be going any deeper...

I would say my limit is 120....but if and only if we were warm water and viz wasz good. Other than that, my floor is 100'.....unless I'm on a custom EANx mix for some specific depth...which would be in only a very very rare scenario....

Hi Dizzy:

I don't Dive Air... I use it to inflate my drysuit and the tires on my mountain bike.

I usually mix for a nitrogen load of 3.1 ata which brings things out to a little less than a EAD/END of 100 feet air... however, I also think oxygen should be included in the calculations and so add 1.4 ata (low exposure cold water dose) to the nitrogen load... which of course gives a total of 4.5 ata. That's a lineal depth of about 120 feet.

So I dive to about 120 on nitrox and use trimix after that.

WHY? Well, I can and it's easy. I feel better post-dive. I shoot better video. If the **** hits the fan, I feel better prepared to deal with it. Thermal narcosis is a factor in most of my diving.

Thanks Hope this answers your questions

Depends on the circumstances (i.e. water clarity, number of dives, purpose of the dive/spearfishing). Have been to 180 and routinely drop to 150 on air. REally depends on what type of dive.

My max depth on air is 112 FFW. I would go deeper with it but only with a well trusted buddy. After reaching 100+ small mistakes can have big resaults. Stay safe and dive again another day!

and that was in 82F water with 100+ viz (Coz) and 2 other trusted buddies.....

Locally, shy of 100 fsw is my limit. Not so much of the issue with the mix, just viz, temp, and not much interesting to see.

Nitrox 32 to 80-90 feet.
Triox 30/30 (30 02, 30 He) from 80-120.
Triox 21/35 (21 02, 35 He) for deeper.

Before switching to He base mixtures, I had pretty much given up on attempting to take pictures below 100 feet. Although I would have told you I was somewhat immune to Nitrogen Narcosis due to my frequent exposure, (3-4 dives per week below 100 feet) the quality and composition of my pictures seemed to indicate otherwise.

Marc Hall
www.enjoythedive.com
march@gue.com

As in most things, it depends on the diver and circumstances.

For myself, I've been to 137 fsw in warm water and 133 fsw in cold water using air in my cylinder. In the former case, I was slightly narc'ed ... in the latter, more so.

Other divers I know refuse to go below 80 fsw on air because of their susceptibility to nitrogen narcosis.

I'd prefer something like EAN28 to EAN30 for deep dives. But it's not an option in some parts of the world.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom