NDL Limit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MISFIT DIVER

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
This is proably a simple question but I will ask it anyway. I normally dive with an AL80. I know the decompression tables using that. Would the no-dompression time change if you were using a 100 or 120 cu ft tank? I would think not because you are still uptaking the same amount of nitrogen regardless of the size of the tank. If that is true, what would be the reason to use a bigger tank if you are still going to stay with in the recreational limits:confused:

The tables do not change with larger tanks. The benefit is if you are diving with recreational limits, and you are an air hog, you can stay longer.
Even if you are not an air hog you can stay down longer with the addtional air, as long as you stick with your limits.:D MO BOTTOM TIME THE BETTER!:wink:

Didn't you take a certification course?
?

But I would think there would be many reasons why someone would choose those types of tanks.. One reason that comes to mind is someone who uses air quickly...Or someone who will be doing deco...But if just staying within the rec limits and using a 100 or 120 I would think it would be strictly air consumption...

I may be totally wrong but that is what comes to mind...

And no the NDL doesn't change at all...They should of taught you that in OW class..

The NDL's do not change with the size of the tank.

Gas consumption is a function of depth, physical size and health. Most women have a lower consumption rate then men for coresponding depths. A bigger diver may not have enough gas to ever reach the NDL's for a given depth. With a larger tank a diver gets more bottom time and may still stay within recreational diving limits. As diving experience and comfort in the water increase gas consumption will decrease. If a diver starts using Nitrox they can significantly increase the NDL's and have enough gas to significanlty extend their dive time.

Walter once bubbled...
Was your class that lacking in basic theory or are you not certified?

We just had another thread on this topic not to long ago. I'm not suprised that another diver had the same question. I am suprised he couldn't find in using the search button...

Before you guys bash on him take a look at the quality of some of these mass production classes now a days. He is either ill informed or didnt pay attention during class or not certified. Its kinda scary that someone would ask a question like that if they are certified.

Yes I am certified and my class did cover basic theory. God forbid that a question get asked when there was some confussion. I could not understand why guys who do not hog air think they need bigger tanks. I promise I will never ask a question I should already know the answer to, I know no one else has ever done that. The world is full of suprizes Corn. Maybe, someone else will not use the search button. Better stay up on that

MISFIT DIVER once bubbled...
Yes I am certified and my class did cover basic theory. God forbid that a question get asked when there was some confussion. I could not understand why guys who do not hog air think they need bigger tanks. I promise I will never ask a question I should already know the answer to, I know no one else has ever done that. The world is full of suprizes Corn. Maybe, someone else will not use the search button. Better stay up on that

Damn... nearly 70 posts and you're still this testy?!

Cornfed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom