May be slow to respond for a little while

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Many of the members of this board know my wife has Muscular Dystrophy and is in a wheelchair. A few of them know that Wednesday we had to hospitalize her. She contracted double pneumonia and was not in good shape. Thankfully the antibiotics are working. Yesterday however the Dr came in and gave us some other news. Due to the progression of her MD her ability to swallow and clear her throat is seriously compromised. She had vocal cord surgery 2 years ago and it worked for a time but that time is now past.

So probably on Tuesday they are going to put a feeding tube into her abdomen. We have known that at some point this would be necessary but were hoping it would be a few more years down the road. The good news is that by doing it now we greatly reduce the risk of another episode like this that she may not be able to pull through as successfully. The tube they will put in will be flush with the skin and still enable her to occasionally take a few bites of something she really wants but not have to rely on for getting all the nutrients she needs. That now is not happening and to postpone it could result in her going downhill overall very quickly.

I don't have all the info but the research I've done suggests that she can do very well with this and we can still do all the things we enjoy doing with a few adjustments. We are planning a cruise to the Bahamas in May/ June. No reason we still cannot do it according to the doctor.

As a result for the next week or so I may not be able to respond as quickly as I usually do to requests for info and questions. I know Dan Marelli gets notified of new posts here as well as I and does a pretty good job of responding when he is able. For questions that require a quick response please call SEI HQ or email them. The contact info is on the SEI Diving website at SEI Diving Home Page

Thanks to all for your understanding and support. Right now I'm hanging in for the most part but there times when it gets iffy. Should anyone wish to send a card to her as she is not on her comp much these days ( I hope that changes when she gets home) you can send it to :
Denise Churney
614 McNary Ave
Canonsburg, Pa 15317

She gets a great deal of joy out of looking and reading Christmas cards and any card with cats on it. Thanks again
Jim Lapenta

Jim,

I pray that God will be with you during this time. I just read of her passing. I am sorry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom