not a troll, I promise....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FIXXERVI6

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
but I've been thinking, opening a scuba park can't be THAT hard.

I used to live in WV, as far as I know, there is no scuba park per say within several states of that area.

Now land there is fairly cheap, however, living and working in WV, its expensive, but, I live and work in TX.

I could buy land in WV while living here in TX, find a partner in WV that would help out, and build the thing, I figure find a large slope and dig it out, take the dirt from the upper part of the slope to build a large earth damn at the bottom, so there you go, large area about 50' deep with minimal dozer work.

but then comes the hard stuff, permits!

dozer costs, and worst of all.... keeping the water clear, how to keep it clear without a mechanical means.... almost impossible.... so I have given up my dream.

How many of you have looked into this and how far did you get with the plans or the execution?

FIXXERVI6 once bubbled...
I figure find a large slope and dig it out, take the dirt from the upper part of the slope to build a large earth damn at the bottom, so there you go, large area about 50' deep with minimal dozer work. dozer costs, and worst of all.... keeping the water clear, how to keep it clear without a mechanical means.... almost impossible.... so I have given up my dream.

Don't give up the dream. West Virginia has lots of old quarries full of water. No dozer needed. It is just COLD water.
If you build it, they will come.

Check out one of our local ones.
http://bluedolphindive.com/bluestone.htm

The owners have sunk small boats, build training platforms, constructed underwater caves, etc....:D

..find an underground aquafier, buy the land above it, dig your hole and if you don't hit water, then drill until you do.

You would have to do some geological research to find a site that has all the right ingredients for a divin' hole.

..that the insurance for a scuba park ain't cheap...not to mention the cost of all that digging. Earth moving equipment rental ain't cheap either...unless you could find someone to quarry out the rock for gravel or whatever, then you might get the digging done for free..or maybe even for a little profit.

geo thermal wells and a recirculating pipe for thermal heating. By the way what did they put into one of the great lake to clear it up? Muscles or something like that?

Hallmac

They were ZEBRA MUSSELS .. they did not put them in, they were dumped from a ship (Ocean vessel) and made their way through the St. Lawrence, on up... (getting fewer as you go farther instream at this point but they will spread).

They are a nuisance though, they have encrusted all the shipwrecks, they have blocked water intakes/outtakes. They are sharp and can cut your wetsuit (or even drysuit).

They eat the natural food of many of the smaller fish (which affects the whole lifecycle in the area).

The only positive about them, is that they have increasesd the Visibilty (at least in the St. Lawrence ) from about 2- 5 feet to about 30+ feet.

Dale

p.s I doubt local agencies would condone you bringing these into your area (even on private land) for fear of them being transported elsewhere.

Talk to Robert and or Debbie Jo at CSSP sometime.

That is if you can pin one of them down, or you may need to walk and talk. Summer time probably isn't the best time to do it. Maybe this fall after the season slows down a little.

They are the owners. I'm sure they can pass on knowledge. Good folk too.

Well fudge. This was supposed to be a resonse to Fixxers query about opening his own park.

TwoBit

I thought about the quarry, but I can't find any resources on the web to search for land in WV, its all houses, dont' want a house on it.

My plan would be to build it, work it, and live like a hill billy off of it for the rest of my days :)

I'm handy with a hammer and saw, I can lay foundations, mix concrtete, do plumbing, paint, and all that good fun stuff so I figure if I got the land, I could slowly build the park myself.

It'll be about 1.5 years before I could start investing in it, but oooo what a job!

what about chemical treatment? I realize it would be a heck of a lot more massive than a pool, but then again it doesn't need to be pool water, you wouldn't need no where near the same concentration of chemicals per amount of water if that makes sense, you just need to keep algea growth down and such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom