Question for Ron Brandt about NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Ron,
In the PADI IE opinions thread you mention that there was no market in your area for NAUI. Could you please explain?

Hi ! I live in western Canada. The only dive agencies up here that people "remember" are PADI and ACUC. Twenty years ago when I got certified as OWD we had PADI , NAUI , ACUC and YMCA instructors. I was Certified NAUI , PADI and ACUC.

When the phone rings people ask "how do I get my PADI "

No foolin.

On the west coast there is the full selection of agencys however.

People walk into my office and see my PADI and IANTD certs on the wall. They know PADI but don't know anything else.

Personally , I would like to teach GUE but I feel it is not worth the time and money as I would never recoup my losses.

Hell , I am still trying to recoup my losses from my PADI
IDC/IE :)

Ron

thing. Is PADI the only for profit agency? I know NAUI bills itself as the oldest non profit agency. I know of some of the other agencies but I don't know if they are profit or non profit oriented. Could this be why PADI is so universally known?

NAUI is not the oldest non profit agency. LA County is the oldest agency, YMCA is the oldest nation wide agency. NAUI formed 1 year later, PADI a few years after that.

Most of the agencies are for profit. NAUI & YMCA are 2 expections.

WWW™

Hi Ron, I don't know what kind of financial investment it takes to become a GUE instructor but it really seems to be taking off here in the west & there are few places that offer it. Where are you in Canada?

-kate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom