magnifying lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drschwartz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm farsighted. I don't think I need a prescription mask however. I've heard that there are magnifying lenses I can install in the lower portion of my mask so that I can see my gauges and compass more clearly.

Any pointers out there to these products? Anyone already using them?

At night, I just use a store-bought pair of reading glasses rather than my progressive lenses for reading in bed -- they work great. I'm looking for something similar to this.

TIA,
David

Aqua Dive Optx Flexible Mask Magnifiers (1 Pair)

I bought these for my wife. The tip below came from a guy who has them.

It is CRITICAL to completely clean the entire inside surface of your mask using toothpaste (NOT GEL) several times, then wash with something like Dawn dish soap to remove all remaining residue (on a new mask you are removing the mold releasing agents, on a used mask you are removing all the anti-fog you've ever applied.) Wash the lenses with Dawn as well. Once everything is "squeaky clean" fill your mask with warm water and let it sit for a minute or two to warm the mask. Then dump the water out, re-wet the magnifier lenses and gently press into place. Try the mask on and see if you need to move the lenses up, down, closer to the nose piece, etc. Look at something like a scuba magazine with print and pictures. Once satisfied, make sure the lenses are pressed to your mask with no bubbles and let the whole thing sit for 24 hours to dry in place. I've NEVER lost a lens using this process. Also, I routinely apply anti-fog to my mask and the lenses and it's never been a problem

Wearing contact lenses is much easier than people may think.

There are several advantages of contacts over Rx masks or inserts including a greater field of view. Quite often a contact lens can be worn only in one eye for near vision purposes. You might like it so much you use it for other than diving.

DrSchwartz,

We at Leisure Pro have a few options:

1. Easy: Body Glove Corrective Optical Mask - pick low, med or high, wherever your prescription falls in the range and your ready to go, it may not be perfect but quite often it's close enough.

2. Little more complex: pick a mask like this: Mares X-Vision Two Window Mask and it has pop in lenses: Mares Corrective Lenses Negative Diopters for X-Vision Masks so you can match the prescription to each eye, gets you much closer, but still doesn't correct for astigmatism etc.

This might be overkill but to keep your options open -

3. Go all the way: Pick just about any mask, then we can have your exact prescription ground and installed in the mask. This process takes about 2 weeks plus shipping time. Price varies on prescription, type of mask, bifocal or single vision, bonded or ground into mask glass, etc.

and

4. As mentioned already contacts are always an option.

Take your pick.

Any questions, feel free to contact me.

Adam

Thanks so much for this great info. RE: Aqua Dive Optx Flexible Mask Magnifiers, just how big are the lenses (can't seem to find a picture of the atual lenses). I'd only want them at the bottom of the lenses as I'm far-sighted.

Thanks again,
David

David,

size: 1.6" diameter - Diveoptx

The picture on the site isn't very clear but you can see the size relative to the mask.

These should work perfecty.

Here is a nice thread about Diveoptx.

Adam

I had the same issues going on. It was getting harder to see the info. on the video screen. Sherwood has a new mask, the lower part of the glass is a +1.75. It works great for me.

David,

size: 1.6" diameter - Diveoptx

The picture on the site isn't very clear but you can see the size relative to the mask.

These should work perfecty.

Here is a nice thread about Diveoptx.

Adam

I've tried the DiveOptx and in my experience it's just a matter of time before you they get loose and lost. The only time they worked for me is if I apply a small drop of glue to hold them in, and even then they tend to separate from the glass. I'd give them 2-3 stars out of 5.

Adam H.

I have them in several masks. I meticulously clean the lens. I burn my mask lens with a lighter, then scrub it with Dawn. Then install the magnifiers. Do not touch the surface that will mate to the mask lens. Let them dry for a week. I have never had issues at all.

N

drschwartz, I have the same problem as you, however since everything is already magnified by a flat mask, I opted to go with the hydrooptix mask in order to get a seamless 170 degree view and also view the true size of the objects underwater. The only hassle to using this is wearing disposable contacts. At first, it took me about 10 min to wear one, but with just about 3-5 practice times you'll be able to wear them in both eyes in less than a minute. I'm currently in the Philippines on vacation and have been diving my ass off. This mask is bar none the best gear I ever bought!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom