Wing or No Wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a wing. I only have one setup and it has to accomodate heavier steels most of the time.

I use no wing now, If I needed to dive big steels or smaller steels with stages I would add a wing but with steel 72's or aluminum 80's a drysuit is fine. Tailor your rig to your needs and each individual dive when necessary. Obviously if your diving over a wall into the abyss a wing might be a good idea but if its a 40ft deep cave it's less of an issue. I always have redundant buoyancy but have dropped the wing....

Why could a wing be superfluous for side mounting two or more tanks but necessary for back mounting two or more tanks?

There are a lot of instances where critical thinking should be applied. If you are diving a sidemount cave with a lot of elevation changes,venting gas from a drysuit may not be possible or practical,so a wing makes more sense due to dump location. I know many CDG cave divers don't use a wing for reasons specific to the caves they dive,but I prefer the redundant lift of a dry suit/wing combination. My personal preference is get the dry suit to the inflation amount that is appropriate for the dive,especially if there is an elevation change,and then put the minimum amount of gas in the wing that I can get by with,because a large protruding wing is less streamlined through small passages.

It depends on the dive and the configuration. With steel tanks, I have a wing. With ALs, I don't necessarily use one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom