Owner Operator Live Aboard? Which Boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iscubainmymind

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Owner Operator Live Aboard?

I would love to know what the best kind of boat would work best?

Anyone own and run a live aboard?

Many of us do. What do you want to do with it, where do you want to go? How serious are you?

Many of us do. What do you want to do with it, where do you want to go? How serious are you?

Frank, just so's ya know, I'm following this thread with great interest, based on our breakfast meeting 15 or so years ago. Boy how time flies....

- Clay

Frank, just so's ya know, I'm following this thread with great interest, based on our breakfast meeting 15 or so years ago. Boy how time flies....

- Clay

Shut up, Clay, I'm going to sell him yours, and get the commission.

Shut up, Clay, I'm going to sell him yours, and get the commission.

Yeah, you always were the smart one. And I'm fine with that, I've got a nice set of Cats for sale with a Swiftship wrapped around them...

;-)

- Clay

Haha ! you all want to sell me a boat! how nice.. but really i am wanting a solar powered catamaran.. I am 32.. so plenty of time left. But i dont really want a sailboat, but like the solar catamarans that have been recently put to market. I really just wonder if it is at all profitable? Also do any of you guys hire folks for help on your boats?

Do you mean like these: SOLAR BOATS AND SOLAR VESSELS AROUND THE WORLD SOLAR NAVIGATOR SOLAR POWERED OCEAN GOING CATAMARAN: WORLD NAVIGATION PROJECT NELSON KRUSCHANDL ? Remember, boats are extremely high maintenance, and dive boats even more so. Every system you add will cost more to maintain, as well as eat electricity (compressors, galley ovens, TV sets, etc.). Also, your flat spaces that you might mount solar panels on will be used for wetsuit drying, lounging, etc. One thing about divers: They don't understand why they can't dive because it's cloudy out. They understand cancelling dives for 5-7 foot seas and hurricanes, but if you're driving air compressors with solar panels, I'd think you will need lots of power backup.

I don't really want to sell you a boat, EV fleet was gigging me because I told him one fine spring morning in 1998 that I wanted to buy a dive boat, after I got done working on his. I believe the word "stupid" came up in conversation. One reason that retired crewboats make up the bulk of Caribbean dive boats is that they are available, relatively cheap, and strong. Other boat designs are quite successful. I can't stress enough to do your market research.

All the best,
Frank

Back
Top Bottom