Looking for Liveaboard Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rossandmaureen

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I plan on doing a Red Sea liveaboard as a solo diver in late September next year. Due to my window of travel I am limited to a departure date of September 25th or 26th and, as I read through available trips, it would appear that the only itinerary that fits is the northern wrecks and reefs. I have done some searching here prior to this post and have found some valuable information but I was hoping for reviews of both the vessels and the tour operators flying out of Gatwick. So far I am looking at:

The Juliet - offered by Oonasdivers

The Typhoon or the Cyclone - offered by either Aquatours or Tony Blackhurst

Your thoughts and recommendations are very much appreciated. Another couple of questions: exposure protection (I know it varies by individual) - 3mm full sufficient? and whether or not I would need a Din adapter for my reg set up. Any issues with being solo?

Thanks in advance.

3 mm full suit will be fine. As RSS says you don't need adaptors.
I have been on the Typhoon it's a great boat and the Cyclone is same standards.
I don't know the Juliet so I can't help you there but if if the boat is as nice as the other two maybe get some information on who the guides are.
Sometimes a great boat and itinerary can be spoiled by guides that don't walk the extra mile for you

Sometimes a great boat and itinerary can be spoiled by guides that don't walk the extra mile for you
Ditto.

BTW, there's another option, which is doing a 3-days liveaboard to Ras Mohamed and Thistlegorm, then shift to daily diving in Dahab or Sharm El Sheikh for the rest of your trip.

Hey there.

September is a good time of year to come here but I don't know if I would choose the northern itinerary... There's a lot to see in the Red Sea and IMHO the south is much better than the north in September. You can see some of what's going on when and where in the Red Sea if you check out my website WELCOME TO AZIAB and click on "Yearly Cycle". There you also find info on temperature and suits.

Hope you'll have a great trip and if you have any further questions you can email me directly as well.

cool runnings
........a........

I respectfully disagree with my friend Samaka.
If you do the wreck and reefs in September, in addition to a wreck overdose you have the chance to see Shark & Yolanda at their best and Hammerheads at Jackson outside.
Besides some weeks in September are really quiet and you don't get many boats

Thank-you all for the comments. I hope more will be posted so that I can choose the right operator and boat. The last comment about there being fewer boats begs another question...do operators cancel voyages due to lack of numbers? I would hate to be fully booked on air only to find out that my liveaboard was cancelled. As for Samaka's comment re north vs. south...not an option available to me as my flight to London is booked on points and there was no flexibility on dates. The southern itineraries would have required me to arrive in London on the 23rd to fly out of Gatwick on the 24th and I couldn't get availability.

If you go on the tornado fleet (cyclone, typhoon, whirlwind) it is very unlikely as they have at least two boats on that itinerary so if they are short you will only have one.
I would not worry too much. I would be careful with the flight connection though to allow plenty of time for your luggage to make it onto the connecting flight

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom