Pro-Ear Mask Earcup Transplant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gert7to3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok sportsfans, here's a DIY project to transplant the earcups from a Pro-Ear mask to the mask of your choice.

Problem 1: The Pro-Ear mask is a low volume mask with a limited field of view.

Problem 2: You already have a mask you really like, perhaps a prescription mask, but
want the advantages of dry ears.

I originally thought that the Pro-Ear mask had the earcup hoses molded into the mask skirt. Close examination showed they were bolted in. The mask skirt simply had very small holes punched through it for the earcup hose connectors. These were attached with hex-nuts on the inside of the mask skirt.

A few caveats. This will totally void your mask warranty. I used a hole punch to cut the holes through the mask skirt. A drill probably won't work. However, a piece of 1/8" brass tubing could be sharpened and used to cut the holes in the mask skirt. These holes must be small so the mask skirt fits tightly around the threaded connector tube. The connectors must located very far forward. Otherwise they may concact your face underwater.

Some pictures follow. I haven't gotten this wet yet. My spousal unit might not accept the excuse of "product testing", to justify a third trip to Bonaire in less than a year.

Attachments

• ContactSheet-2-4 up.jpg
    ContactSheet-2-4 up.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 1,179
  • ContactSheet-4 up.jpg
    ContactSheet-4 up.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 1,077
It has worked just fine. I have used this for about 50 dives by now. I liked my Sherwood mask because it fit better and has a wider field of view. Be gentle when putting the mask on or taking it off. The tube assemblies can be delicate.

Hi everyone,

I know this thread is over 5 years old. But I have been having ear equalization problems and ear infections while diving. I have already accepted the fact that I will look like a idiot wearing the ist pro ear mask. But I am very comfortable wearing my cressi panoramic mask. I like your idea of retrofitting your own mask. I plan on doing this to my cressi mask, but since it's been over 5 years since this was posted just wondering if you have had any problems with your design.

Any feedback would be great,

BigBoss,
The Pro-Ear ear cup transplant has worked fine for years. I have around 300 dives on both the Pro-Ear mask plus the Pro-Ear ear cup transplants to my old Sherwood mask and a newer Tusa Liberator. If it should not work out, you can always seal the holes up with nylon screws. Docs-Pro Plugs might be a possible compromise, which can keep your ears mostly dry.

I am getting ready to get back in the water, started diving at 16 and worked in dive shop where we had this product, circa 2001. I remember trying it out and not being a fan. I have had perforated eardrums since then and have not been able to take it up as a full time hobby. Multiple operations to patch my eardrums have been unsuccessful.
I am about to use this mask with the pro plugs and the hood to make sure I have plenty of protection and am going to transplant the pro ear mask system with my beloved Cressi mask. There are multiple models available, specifically ME80 and ME55 for the pro ear mask. The descriptions seem identical to me. Besides the appearance, does anyone have some insight on the technical differences in these models?

I googled the Me 80 and Me 55 Pro Ear masks separately. The ME 80 model appears to be the same model I have purchased in the past. The mask to connector tube coupling is a molded right angle fitment. The piece which communicates with the face mask chamber, through a hole in the mask skirt, is threaded and held in place with a hex nut. The part of the fitment attached to the equalizer tube slips inside the end of the tube, which is held in place by a plastic clamping ring. This ring is brittle and can break, allowing the tube to slip off. I reinforce this with a small zip-tie wrapped with silicone rescue tape.

The ME 55 mask appears to have a slightly different attachment coupling at the top of the mask. It is difficult to see exactly how, but it may be a more robust design, possibly eliminating the right angle fitment of the basic mask model with an inline fitment. This might not be the model to use for your transplant project. It seems odd that the numbering is sequentially lower. I would have to see the ME 55 mask directly to understand the mechanism completely.

Keep in mind that the Pro Ear mask his a two lens design and can be readily adapted to prescription mask lenses.

Here is a YouTube video clearly showing the features of the mask:

One thing I would add to this video is that you have to get your ear completely inside the inner ring of the ear cup. If you pinch your ear under the inner ring, the ear cup will leak.

Also, the equalization tubes have inline check valves to prevent air from returning from the ear cups. These must be kept clean, free of sand or dried salt build up. I use a syringe to flush the ear cup tubes out with fresh water, from inside the mask.

Use a hole punch to make the holes in the mask skirt. Support the mask skirt on a small dowel to act as the anvil against which you pound the hole punch. The hole should be smaller than the fitment tubing to provide a tight seal.

Last edited:
I googled the Me 80 and Me 55 Pro Ear masks separately. The ME 80 model appears to be the same model I have purchased in the past. The mask to connector tube coupling is a molded right angle fitment. The piece which communicates with the face mask chamber is threaded and held in place with a hex nut. The end which is attached to the equalizer tube slips over the end of the fitment and is held in place by a plastic clamping ring. This ring is brittle and can break, allowing the tube to slip off. I reinforce this with a small zip-tie wrapped with silicone rescue tape.

The ME 55 mask appears to have a slightly different attachment coupling at the top of the mask. It is difficult to see exactly how, but it may be a more robust design, possibly eliminating the right angle fitment of the more basic model with an inline fitment. This might not be the model to use for your transplant project. It seems odd that the numbering is sequentially lower. I would have to see the ME 55 mask directly to understand the mechanism completely.

Here is a YouTube video clearly showing the features of the mask:

One thing I would add to this video is that you have to get your ear completely inside the inner ring of the ear cup. If you pinch your ear under the inner ring, the ear cup will leak.

Also, the equalization tubes have little inline check valves to prevent air from returning from the ear cups. These must be kept clean, free of sand or dried salt build up. I use a syringe to flush the ear cup tubes out with fresh water, from inside the mask.

I used a hole punch to make the holes in the mask skirt. Support the mask skirt on a small dowel to act as the anvil against which you use the hole punch. The hole should be smaller than the fitment tubing to provide a tight seal.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom