liveaboard questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sonar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys,

Today we had the first snow so I know I need to have something to look forward to. Otherwise I'll pbb get depressed all winter :D

I live in the Netherlands and never dove in the red sea. I am thinking about a liveaboard trip in February, March for 7 days ~ 10 days. I don't care about luxury, dont mind setting up my rented gear etc. I just wanna dive, drink a bit and enjoy the sun. I have been reading a bit on this forum and googled some. I am just curious about a few things:

- Whats are the main things to look at while selecting a liveaboard trip? What are the well respected operations?
- I can imagine that last-minute bookings are a lot cheaper.. correct? If so, are these last minute offers really last minute or also possibile like 3 weeks before?
- Is it a plan just to show up on a popular location and shop around there for a cheap offer or is the risk to high to end up paying too much or not finding anything good?
- What's the price range i should keep in mind? (exc. flight of course)
- I dont like diving on locations where there are 5 boats with OW's ruining the spot. From what I heard that happens often in the Red sea.. Or is that just near the coast?
- I am a DM; is it possible to make deals with liveaboard operators to get discount in exchange for my services?
- Whats generally the average age group of people on liveabords? I am 27 and would, in general, not get too excited about spending a week on a boat with some families and some forty+ year old overweight mass air consuming blokes (no offence)

I have mainly done macro diving so far so I would love to see some big fish.. I dove in Malaysia, Philipines, Thailand, Mexico. I am nitrox certified. I prefer adrenalin dives with lots of current and other wild stuff

thx in advance

:cool2:

I assume you have also posted your questions on the Dutch forum?

Some places that regularly post last minute offers:
Duikgroepen
Desert Roos

In my experience even shore dive packages are a lot cheaper when booked in advance despite the considerable competition. I wouldn't just get on a plane and expect to find an available liveaboard space at a reasonable price.

On the more popular sites you won't have the reef to yourself. Deal with it.

I've been on a few safaris by now and have been offered free board & air in return for guiding services. But the more reputable operators will have their own regular employees.

The mix of guests on board generally reflects the general population. I've never encountered complete families, but there will be a few singles, some couples and the occasional group of friends or dive club members. The shared interest in diving always makes for a pleasant (though slightly nitrogen-soaked) atmosphere.

You will be lucky to see any other big fish than a few whitetip reef sharks and tuna. But who knows what can happen? The big fish are out there, somewhere. Inshallah, as they say.

I'm sure Samaka and RSS will be along shortly to correct all this. :wink:

As Arthur said, I won't just pop-up asking for a liveaboard seat. Book in advance. Even for the land-based vacations, it's way better. You can book through a tour operator or a dive operator's web site. And yes there are some 3 weeks last minute offers :)

Regarding the special deals and using your service as a DM, no reputable operator will allow such thing. Also it's better to enjoy your vacation instead of taking care of people.

I assume you have also posted your questions on the Dutch forum?

Some places that regularly post last minute offers:
Duikgroepen
Desert Roos

In my experience even shore dive packages are a lot cheaper when booked in advance despite the considerable competition. I wouldn't just get on a plane and expect to find an available liveaboard space at a reasonable price.

On the more popular sites you won't have the reef to yourself. Deal with it.

I've been on a few safaris by now and have been offered free board & air in return for guiding services. But the more reputable operators will have their own regular employees.

The mix of guests on board generally reflects the general population. I've never encountered complete families, but there will be a few singles, some couples and the occasional group of friends or dive club members. The shared interest in diving always makes for a pleasant (though slightly nitrogen-soaked) atmosphere.

You will be lucky to see any other big fish than a few whitetip reef sharks and tuna. But who knows what can happen? The big fish are out there, somewhere. Inshallah, as they say.

I'm sure Samaka and RSS will be along shortly to correct all this. :wink:

No Need to correct anything... You're spot on mate... :wink:

Especially about the discount in exchange for guiding services. No one of the good operators would ever let you do that. In fact you would be marked as somewhat of a "keep and eye on him" just for suggesting it.

.......a.......

ok makes sense

Wouldnt be happy either when it turns out my guide never dove on the location before. And I also dont feel like pumping tanks and setting up gear all trip long

does anybody got a link or something to good operators or sites with nice offers?

We did a week in the Red Sea with Red Sea Explorers. It cost us $1495 per person (US dollars). This included three or four dives a day on air; nitrox was extra. The boat is comfortable but not plush and the food was good and plentiful. What made the trip incredible was the boat and the crew. The people are there to make sure you extract every conceivable iota of fun that can be had on any dive. The boat carries scooters which are available to rent, and is also set up to support technical diving. The briefings are on a wide screen TV with 3D renderings of the dive sites, which was wonderful.

You either dive off the back of the boat, or off RIBs, depending on the dive sites. RIBs are always available to pick you up, if you can't make it back to the boat, so there is no stress on the dives. The sites were incredible -- tons of soft corals, HUGE morays, and we saw hammerheads and a thresher shark, as well as tuna, Napoleon wrasses, and many, many reef fish. We did night dives where they were permitted, but we spent two days on the Brothers Islands, where they are not (for good reason!)

I simply can't say enough good things about the MV Tala and her crew. If it weren't so very far, I'd go back again next year.

We did a week in the Red Sea with Red Sea Explorers. It cost us $1495 per person (US dollars). This included three or four dives a day on air; nitrox was extra.
A bit expensive for air-only diving, especially when the membrane is on-board.

For the majority of operators, this price (approximately 1000 Euro per person per week) includes Nitrox for free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom