Using an AIR2 with a hollis wing & wing selection?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gdaaym8z

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I currently use an AIR2 on my BCD and would like to continue using it with my new BP/W set up. I have ordered the Hollis Elite II harness and a stainless backplate, I am still trying to decide which wing to purchase. I will most likely still dive a single 80cf cylnder for a few month and then on to doubles. I would like to purchase one wing that would work for both (55# pherhaps?) So I guess I have two questions, the first is if I can still us an AIR2 and the second being a recommendation for a wing that I could use for either doubles or a single. I have read several threads and as with most things on the board, there is heated debate in both directions. Any information is greatly appreciated.

I bet you will not find a single person who uses an Air II with doubles. I would recommend purchasing another second stage regulator and bungee it around your neck (Although for doubles you will also need a first stage). Find a primary hose length that works for you, since you are already used to donating the primary it will be an easy transition. I would recommend something in the 5-7' range.

Recommending a wing is more complicated than just which one. Drysuit diver? Steel vs aluminum? Size of tank? Extra weight on rig? You get the idea.

With that said there is no single do it all wing. You will need two wings. One for single tank diving and another for doubles.

I would rethink the AirII with a wing with no shoulder dump. It is not a good match for a BP/Wing with no shoulder dump valve.

If you have to share air, dumping the air from your wing while you ascend is going to be tricky. With a shoulder dump like you have on many traditional BCDs is it not as big of an issue although I am not a fan of the integrated units.

Another point to consider is the corrugated hose on most wings is much shorter than many "conventional" bcs. I was a die hard air2 adherent until I switched to a bpw. I now use long hose/bungie necklace.

I own two Hollis wings. One is the S38 that I bought to use with my HTS. The other is a 55# doubles wing that I scored on a closeout sale (cost me less than 50%). The doubles wing is huge compared to the S38. I wouldn't want to use the larger wing for singles as the drag would be quite bad. That being said, depending on how much lift you need, the S38 may not be enough for doubles.

One option is to post a "wanted ad" in the marketplace for a wing or two. You may be able to pick up two used wings for the cost of one new one. If you can't find two used wings, maybe you can score one so that you only have to buy one of them new. Dive Gear Express is selling some DR wings on sale right now. You may be able to get two for the price of one that is not on sale.

As for the Air2, the others have said exactly what 99.9% of what everyone else would say (don't use it). To use it with doubles, you will need two first stage regs and a 2nd stage. Assuming you own a first and second stage already, you would still need to buy another first stage. Typically, you won't save a bunch of money buying a first stage without a 2nd stage.

I have begun purchasing the required items to double up my tanks. I already own a singles setup. I was going to buy another Hollis reg to match the one I already have. In the end, I decided not to mainly because the swivel issue with the hose (posted in the Hollis forum) and because I didn't want to have to unscrew and reconfigure my regs when I switched from doubles to singles. Other than changing your hoses around, the only way to dive a single tank with a doubles reg setup is to use an "H" valve. This would work for me at home but not when I travel. I travel frequently so I didn't want that. I opted for separate set of regs that will be designated for doubles use.

I am not affiliated with the shop but Dive Right in Scuba is selling a "doubles package" that includes two of the HOG first stage regs with two of the HOG 2nd stage regs plus an SPG. It seems like a great deal. The regs have gotten good feedback from those that have used them. I actually ordered a first and 2 2nd stages that I am going to use instead of my Hollis reg for singles (again, the hose/swivel issue). I am going to use them this weekend on a night dive.

Hopefully this helps. I realized quickly that doubles are not cheap. I am trying to pick up equipment here and there to help spread out the cost. There are some good deals on used gear so I would keep my eye out for that. Good Luck.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I think I am going to set myself up with an octo. I will also get a singles wing for now as the doubles are still a ways out for me. I dove with a friend yesterday who is set up with a BP/W for a single and was able to ask him a lot of questions as well as look at his rig. I'll just leave the AIR2 on my rec BC and let is collect some dust....Happy Holidays!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom