getting gear on a plane??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

foamer86

Reaction score
I am going on a trip in about a week and was wondering about any suggestions to get gear on a plane, and what has worked best for people.

thanks
craig

I take everything except tank and weights. Everything, including BC and Turtle fins, fits in a carry of sized suitcase and a regulator bag.
Don't forget to put your shears and/or knife in checked luggage.
We go to Maui three times a year and I never have had a bag opened until I forgot about me shears last April.
I don't use a wetsuit over there so that is not a packing issue for me.

I always carry at least my reg with me, more if I have space. Only in Reno NV. did the security guard not know what it was immediatly, but after we told him that it was for scuba we had no problems.

I put my mask, regulator, computer, and fins in my carry on bag. The rest goes in my boat bag, which gets slid into a military duffle bag with a lock. The duffle gets checked. I wait until they inspect the duffle in case they want to search it. If they want to search it, I give them the combination. It is usually fun watching them try to get the boat bag into the duffle, it's a tight fit. My dry bag and any clothes that will fit goes in the top of the duffle.

I carry on my fins because it is really hard to rent jet fins.

I carry my regs and computer, masks (prescription lenses), topside camera, cd's and player, meds and at least one c-card in a large regulator bag with a shoulder strap.

This happened to me.. I didn't secure the lock the switch so the movement in bag turned on light. Sure enough, when I got to my destination, the batteries were dead.

When I went to replace my batteries, I could not open the light. I must have over tightend my light a bit before and the pressure of cargo hold created a vacume so could not open light. We tried everything. Even Big Ramon at the LDS couldn't open with his bare hands or all the tools they had.

I ended up buying a new light at LDS on resort. When I got home, I drilled small hole on lens to relieve the pressure and open. I was able to order a new lens for $17 plus shipping.

Also, be prepared to bring spent back batteries with you. most resorts are located in pristine locations and don't have much landfill space. Batteries are really bad for fragile environments where dive sites are.

reefseal once bubbled...
This happened to me.. I didn't secure the lock the switch so the movement in bag turned on light. Sure enough, when I got to my destination, the batteries were dead.
Even my tiny 7.5 watt 6AA Ikelite PCa will generate enough heat to be dangerous. Just slide a bit of paper over the top of the battery terminal to prevent inadvertant turn on.

I just carry cash, cert card and passport, credit cards, a bathing suit and sometimes my prescription mask. In the unlikely event that my bags are delayed, I'd just rent gear.

Just flew back from Puerto Vallarta last night. I took everything except tanks. Due to advice on this board, I carried my BC and gauges/computer on the plane. No problems. Most of the baggage people reconize diving stuff in the x-ray machine. I distributed my soft weights throughout all my bags so as not to ad too much weight to any one bag. One thing for sure: I am extreemly glad I brought my own gear. I made 11 dives and after my first dive the diver shop transported, stored and cleaned my stuff between dives. If was so nice using the stuff I am used to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom