Best time of Night to Lobster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ft.lauderdale diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I know that lobsters come out of there holes at night. But are those buggers typically out until it gets light?

Is it even worth trying to do some lobster hunting (off the beach) let's say at 5 in the morning before the sun gets up? I guess it can't hurt to just get out there and try it myself, but I'd love to hear your experience (if you have done both and can speak from your experience)

I've been going out at 7/8ish and it's been good.. just trying to see if I can try my luck early in the morning as well

Thanks!:wink:

Go out exactly at o'dark thirty and you will clean up every time.
A minute earlier or later - fuggedaboudit.

There's no magic time. I've gone out in the middle of the day and bagged my limit. I've gone out before sunrise and been skunked.

The best time to go for lobster diving? When it's convenient to your schedule. Honest to goodness.

I've been out at different times of the evening. Just my opinion, but the 1st 2 hours after sunset, the crabs, octos and nurses are out and scouring. The bugs are still in their holes and not out yet.

Then about 2 hours or so after sunset they will venture out and be walking in the open on the sand near rock and reef structure chomping on snails and other small stuff. I never see them walking around in the 'before sunrise' hours.

I also do better at night when it's a bright and full moon with no cloud cover, but I only think that is because I can see better distances of viz. In either case you'll need a good, but not a reef burner light. You need it bright enough so when you swing it back and forth slowly, you will pick up the reflection in their eyes as it hits them. This also works great for slippers. The first time you see the reflection, you'll train your eyes to spot it immediately as it's a very distinct pattern.

Overall I still do better during the daytime, and picked clean reef will still be picked clean at night. Like everything else, it just takes practice, and the secret GPS numbers.

DSC00555.jpg

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom