Horse collar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garrobo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone using a horse collar lately? I'm thinking about using one with a backplate/hog harness and DUI weight harness in salt water. Any recommendations exept to lose the idea?:dork2:

I dove with a horse collar for many years, work to get your buoyancy good so you are just buoyant at the surface and neutral at 10-15ft and enjoy no messing with a power inflator. you should be able to use your lung volume to control buoyancy but you may find you are a little negative under 25 ft if so you have to swim to keep level and not sink slowly. an average aluminum 80 and regulator is about neutral with 500# so do not go below that.

Anyone using a horse collar lately? I'm thinking about using one with a backplate/hog harness and DUI weight harness in salt water. Any recommendations exept to lose the idea?:dork2:

Yes, I have and occasionally do. I don't have the DUI thing but I use a weight belt. The horsecollar I have is an appropriately black Sea Tec with power inflator. It has about 18 pounds of lift give or take.

The best approach when using a horsecollar BC is to keep over weighting to the minimum, this reduces the amount of air you introduce into the BC at depth. More than a small amount of air in a horsecollar will tend to rotate your body head up and feet down. Obviously the best way to prevent that is to not put air in the dang thing, or as little as possible.

The horsecollar BC is actually very streamlined, compact, has a handy pocket(s) and of course, when inflated on the surface, will tend to hold your head high and airway clear unlike a wing that wants to face plant you. But, a BC is not a life jacket either, half dozen this, half dozen that.

A horsecollar goes on first, then your plate harness, then your weight belt.

N

I would add, avoid the old US Diver ones. They look nice but I have yet to see one with a good bladder....I have on perfect looking one with a totally trashed bladder and another one that looks perfect on the outside but the bladder looks like an Aquaseal add. I also have 2 of the Seatech ones, great condition. I would look for one of those.

Picture011.jpg

Some of my buddies have been using horse collars since the early 70s.

I dive my SeaTec horse collar with cam pac singles quite often now (coldwater). It has 24#'s lift and keeps me up as well as my wing (which I use for my twins). The other day I was using it in 2-3 swells with no problem

http://s826.photobucket.com/albums/zz185/randy1976_photos/?action=view&current=PORTEAUCOVEDEC6.flv

Another tip I would add is to tighten the back and crotch straps so they are just tight around you. Too loose and the collar will float up around your neck. A little bit of experimentaion will find the sweet spot.

decemberdive036.jpg

Not diving my Nemrod anymore but still diving a SQ BCP, a pure back inflate BC with a hard back and about 30 lbs lift. The BCP has a clean front, straight webbing, and is great for kicking out on your back.

I dive my SeaTec horse collar with cam pac singles quite often now (coldwater). It has 24#'s lift and keeps me up as well as my wing (which I use for my twins). The other day I was using it in 2-3 swells with no problem

PORTEAUCOVEDEC6.flv video by randy1976_photos - Photobucket

Another tip I would add is to tighten the back and crotch straps so they are just tight around you. Too loose and the collar will float up around your neck. A little bit of experimentaion will find the sweet spot.

decemberdive036.jpg

Dale are those Keds ?

Back
Top Bottom