Time to Ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrpai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I now work in a skyscraper and if my math is currect I'm at about 750 feet above sea level when I'm at work.

The elevator ride to my office is way wicked. I'd say it takes me 30 seconds to get from the concourse to the floor that I'm on.

On the way up and down I notice I have to equalize my ears a couple of times.

I know 750 is within 1000', but considering the short time that I achieve this ascent, should I take any special consideration into my time to ascent?

I'd like to be able to go for night dives and weekend dives and then go to work the next day.

chrpai once bubbled...
The elevator ride to my office is way wicked. I'd say it takes me 30 seconds to get from the concourse to the floor that I'm on.

I'd like to be able to go for night dives and weekend dives and then go to work the next day.
You aren't really changing pressure all that much ---- so it's no worse than ascending the last foot or 2 of a dive in a 30 second period. Besides, by the time you show up for work 8+ hours after your night dive your fast tissues (one most affected by rapid ascent IIRC) will be back to normal sea level sat values.

OTOH, if you are feeling particularly wicked some morning, just hit to the call button for each and every floor and tell the other elevator riders that you've just read an article on how rapid elevator ascents is causing some sort of health problem. Do this a few times and you might start a fad. :)

50 flights of stairs? I don't think so.... LOL

Charlie- The elevator I take services only floors 40 and up. That option wouldn't be available.

Without getting all wicked with the math, it seems like the pressure difference is more then a couple of feet. I know going down and I have to equalize several times. Since I was taught to equalize every few feet, I'd think its a difference of atleast 9 feet.

A quick search found this nugget...

A rule of thumb for the altimeter correction is that the pressure drops about 1 inch of mercury for each 1,000 foot altitude gain. If you're using millibars, the correction is 1 millibar for each 8 meters of altitude gain. These rules of thumb work pretty well for elevations or altitudes of less than a two or three thousand feet.

For the units to make sense...

In the U.S., air pressure at the surface is reported in inches of mercury while air pressure aloft is reported in millibars, also known as hectopascals (hPa). Scientists, however, generally use pressures in hectopascals.

In the rest of the world, measurements are usually given in hectopascals although you will sometimes see them in centimeters of mercury, especially on older barometers.

The term "hectopascals" is replacing the term "millibars." The hectopascal is a direct measure of pressure, like pounds per square inch, but in the metric system. Since the measurement is in the metric system, 1,000 millibars equal one bar. A bar is a force of 100,000 Newtons acting on a square meter, which is too large a unit to be a conveinent measure of Earth's air pressure. Inches of mercury measure how high the pressure pushes the mercury in a barometer.

To convert between inches of mercury and millibars, one millibar is equal to 0.02953 inches of mercury. The El Paso, Texas, National Weather Service Office has a weather calculator posted on the web that can be used to make the conversion.

Centimeters of mercury can be translated into inches of mercury by dividing the number of centimeters by 2.54.

The use of direct pressure measurements goes back to the late 19th century when the great Norwegian meteorologist Vilhelm Bjerknes, a leader in making meteorology a mathematical science, urged weather services to use direct pressure measurements because they can be used in the formulas that describe the weather.

A sidelight: In the International System (SI) of measurements, the unit of pressure is the Pascal, named after Blaise Pascal, the 17th century scientist who made important discoveries about air pressure. The standard atmospheric pressure at the Earth's surface of 1013.25 millibars is equal to 101,325 Pascals. To avoid large numbers, air pressure is reported in hectoPascals, which are the same as millibars. In many nations, you are now likely to hear reports such as, "air pressure, 1020.0 hectoPascals." This is the same as 1020.0 millibars

You can do the math. :D

Marc

FLL Diver once bubbled...
In the U.S., air pressure at the surface is reported in inches of mercury while air pressure aloft is reported in millibars, also known as hectopascals (hPa). Scientists, however, generally use pressures in hectopascals.

In the rest of the world, measurements are usually given in hectopascals although you will sometimes see them in centimeters of mercury, especially on older barometers.
In international aviation barometric pressure is expressed in inches of mercury, worldwide.
--------------
In answer to the original question, 750' is less than a foot of water pressure; no big deal.
Rick

Back
Top Bottom