Ft Lauderdale vicinity diving end of Jan '10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weaponeer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The wife and I do most of our Florida diving in the Keys mid-year, and only once have we dove Ft Lauderdale, but that was in August. An opportunity has come up where we can dive Ft Lauderdale the last week of January. I know the Keys can be choppy then but I'm not sure how the winds and surface normally work at that time in Lauderdale. We'll come prepared for water temps in the low to mid 70s and would like to know what to expect for surface conditions, on average. We'll be doing boat dives, no shore dives. Thanks for any insight on this.

BTW, does Scubatyme charter run trips in January? If not, any suggestions? We're staying at a friend's house and will have use of their car, so any FLL dive op will do.

The wife and I do most of our Florida diving in the Keys mid-year, and only once have we dove Ft Lauderdale, but that was in August. An opportunity has come up where we can dive Ft Lauderdale the last week of January. I know the Keys can be choppy then but I'm not sure how the winds and surface normally work at that time in Lauderdale. We'll come prepared for water temps in the low to mid 70s and would like to know what to expect for surface conditions, on average. We'll be doing boat dives, no shore dives. Thanks for any insight on this.

BTW, does Scubatyme charter run trips in January? If not, any suggestions? We're staying at a friend's house and will have use of their car, so any FLL dive op will do.

Both FLL and the Keys could be choppy but sometimes one is diveable while the other isn't. A SW wind is good in FLL while usually blowing out the Upper Keys. Conversely, a N or NE wind can blow out FLL while the Upper Keys is diveable. Flexible plans are paramount to getting maximum dives if that's what you're after.

Lot's of good FLL and Pompano dive ops. Personally I like American Dream II in FLL and Avid Diver out of Pompano Beach.

Brian is right, there are lots of good local ops and he mentions two great ones. My local dive op of choice is Sea Experience II. Capt. Bill Cole has been diving these reefs for 3 decades, and nobody knows them better.

Once you make your choice, post it if you want some locals to dive with you. :)

I'll give a two thumbs up to Sea Experience II as well! Dove with them a couple weeks ago... couple of great dives. My plan is to head back and dive January 22nd-24th!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom