Upper Keys Water Temps 1st week Feb?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StreetDoctor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll be in Key largo for a class the first week of february and I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to wear for exposure. I might bring my drysuit with a 100 gram liner but I'd really like to go with a wetsuit. I have a 3/2 steamer that I'm thinking about wearing possibly with a 1.5mm skin underneath. I've been in 72 degree water before in just my 3/2 and got just the slightest chill after an hour + in the water. For this class I'm expecting 4+ hours of in-water time per/day. Can I expect water temps in the low 70's at least? We'll be diving the Spiegel Grove and some of the deeper wrecks. What about air temps?

With 4hrs in water I would bring the drysuit. I plan on being down if Florida mid Feb. diving my rebreather and will use my drysuit.
If you were just taking 30-40 minutes of bottom time on the SG with no/min. deco then a wetsuit would be fine.
I'm guessing water temps would be mid to low 70's

Al

You can expect water temps in the mid-low 70's. Personally, I'd either dive my 7mm or a drysuit.

I've dived Key Largo several times at that time of year, generally the lowest water temps of the year. I've had water temps of 71-73 degrees and air temps generally in the 60s-70s. Several visits have had brisk winds, making it seem much colder during SIs.

I dive with a full 5mm with a hooded vest and do fine with 4 dives/day. You could easily justify a 7mm or a drysuit to stay toasty. I would pay just as much attention to making sure you can stay warm and dry during surface intervals

Good diving, Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom