Computer for Advanced Young Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MauiScubaSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Friends of mine are looking for a dive computer for their teenage son. He has his AOW and a couple Specialties.

Dad used the word basic but I will add Nitrox and user replaceable battery. Probably $350 or less-ish. I'm a Suunto but Mosquitos are not on my list.

LEISURE PRO has a clearance on Manta's; interested in any thoughts!

I agree with the Dive Rite Duo, but any computer with the features you list and a manual gauge mode would fit the bill as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: On second thought I should add, that I prefer the non-air integrated wrist mount (like the DR Duo), but I suspect the air integrated models are out of the price range.

+1 on the DR Duo, great computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lsiesure Pro has had the Uwatec Aladin Tec 2G on sale for $299 for a while now (MSRP is $564 IIRR). In addition to the features of the Nitek Duo et al, in gauge mode it also has a stopwatch and a resettable average depth. Plus the option of setting your backlight for push-on/push-off, which is really handy for night dives. All the the computers mentioned will allow for expansion into tech diving, should the friend's son wish to do so.

Guy

Last edited by a moderator:
Suunto Gekko Nitrox and Air

My Gekko has served me very well over the last several years as have all my suunto gages. I have been diving with suunto equipment for 20+ years. Once when I had problems with a gage after a couple hundred dives, it gave up the ghost. I got another, but the gage size no longer fit the console. The dive shop called the sunnto rep and they provided me with a new console. with customer service like that, those folks earned a lifetime customer. when i upgraded about 8 years ago, suunto and gekko was the only way to go.

Highly recommend the Tec2G ... it functions well as either a computer or a bottom timer, and has a lot of features that give the young (or new) diver a lot of options as their diving skills, knowledge, and goals evolve.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Tusa IQ700 (hunter)

We have 5 of them. Love them. Very good computer that does the job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom