Virgin........ dive waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishkiller

Contributor
Reaction score
Mesa Arizona, The all beach no ocean state.
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok
I know that I have your attention here is the question.

You look out over a large body of water and possessed with the knowledge that there has yet to be a SCUBA diver to report of the dive conditions, there is no way of telling what may lay beneath the surface unless you and your dive buddy go and look around to see for yourselves. What pre-cautions and equipment would you have at your ready for use??

Are you 100 miles out in the open ocean over a 80' shell hump? Are you in a lake? I would think location would have a big role in what you carry out and down with you.

Hmmm... good question! I've done that a couple of times.

At the surface...

* Boat tender
* Depth finder
* All the regular boat safety equipment (radio etc.)

On me...

* Dive Alert
* Lift Bag (actually on my buddy)
* Slate
* Safety sausage
* Signal mirror
* Whistle
* The regular assortment of knives & things
* a light

Procedures?
* Establish depth & time limits
* I am sure there are more, I just need some more coffee!

-kate

I would bring everything but the kitchen sink. :viking:

Sorry couldn't resist!! :jester:

Lets say for argument sakes that the magic SCUBA Genie granted you two wishes the first wish was for Virgin Ocean water with a nice sandy beach. The second would be inorder to dive that virgin water you had to be properly equiped, and that is my question to you all what equipment would you take to dive the water?? A good looking dive buddy isn't equpment but would take one along.

I would take a solar powered(or gas) 5 CFM compressor with a bio filter on my Regulator.

-kate I would like to hear about your experiences.

NINman how about a solar shower?

A sandwich and some water... need some desert too... maybe a chocolate icing covered marble fudge brownie. :D Aside from that I'd have to take along a CCR-1000! :D

Easy question - their is always one or two guys on the boat that are ready to go about ½ hour before the boat arrives at the dive site. Throw them in and see what happens; If they sweep away, you know the current is strong. If they come up complaining about the vis, the vis is bad. If a Great White eats them, use caution while video taping!

Hmmmm...

Is this the "deep wisdom of ages" or a severe case of Hannibal Lecter style DCS that we should be referring to Dr. Deco?

hehe

First off, trying to determine the virginity of a particular area would be tough. However, if it's new to me, then it's virgin enough. No, this is NOT a commentary on a squalid lifestyle, thankyouverymuch!

So if it were an unfamiliar area, I would probably do a cursory research of any LDS' in the area, or even the local denizens (air breathing, of course). If it is in a remote area, all the better!

In this situation, I would run some depths on the area with a boat. Pick out some interesting points or valleys, and then dive in and see. Tools??? Mostly I would take a line and a few flashlights, and of course all of my senses. A slate would be handy to make notes and/or maps, and a camera if there is anything really peculiar. I don't think I would take a lift bag on the first look see, as that would come later. Less is usually better, unless you are talking about air :tease:

I'm impressed with your simple but compelling logic. Thanks for a good laugh!!

Back
Top Bottom