Which Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dixie Diving

Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking about planning ahead for a dive trip for later part of 2010 or early 2011. I wanted to dive the Oriskany in Pensacola, then the Spiegel Grove in Key Largo, then the Vandenberg in Key West.

My question to you is what are the dive spots on the drive that you think would be must dives?

I was thinking about planning ahead for a dive trip for later part of 2010 or early 2011. I wanted to dive the Oriskany in Pensacola, then the Spiegel Grove in Key Largo, then the Vandenberg in Key West.

My question to you is what are the dive spots on the drive that you think would be must dives?

I wouldn't miss the USCG Cutter Duane in Key Largo. There are some technical level dives that are spectacular as well like the Ande in Palm Beach and the Hydro Atlantic off Boca Raton.

jump to the east coast and then decide between hmm... dive wrecks, dive deep, coral, or flower beds. there are lots of dives off jupiter through to lauderdale area, key largo, The Adolphus Bush around marathon area, looe key, molassis reef and tons of other spots

Start in Pensacola, do the "O" and at least a half dozen or so of the other great sites. Go East to Port St. Joe and do the Empire Mica. Stop at Crystal River and Ginnie Springs after you turn the corner, see the Manatees and a cool set of springs, run by Disney and do the Seas, cut west and stop at Venice Beach, grab some fossilized sharks teeth then go East on Alligator Alley, pick up some wrecks and reefs in the Lauderdale area. Head into the Keys and stop at Pennekamp, do the obligatory Duane, Bibb, Grove, Busch and Vandenburg. Hit some reefs along the way. Finish at Mallory Square for a sunset and go to Marguaritaville for a burger and a margarita. Leave the rest of your money in the offering plate of the last church you pass on the way out of the state and thank God you got to come to Florida. While you are in Pensacola, look us up. We'd be glad to show you our end of the state.

Capt. Jim
Dr Dive
www.drdive.com
drdive@drdive.com

They all good but on any given day conditions are more important then site itself. When I was diving Spiegel Grove vis was only 20-30 feet and you can’t fully appreciate huge wreck if you can see only small area around you. And diving Bipp current was so strong from top to bottom that most attention was spent trying not to be washed away. On another hand we had perfect conditions on Duane and Eagle: 100ft vis, little current, tons of fish, very memorable dives.

You do know that Pensacola is closer to Columbus, Ohio than it is to Key West?
Off-topic but humorous; during the years that I had a home in Key Largo, every Friday, people would ask "so are you going to Key West this weekend?" and I'd say "no, I never go to Key West" and they would get this strange look on their face. I'd continue "Key Largo is only 80 miles from here...Key West is 100 miles from Key Largo." They would reply "oh, I thought all the Keys were Key West." :shakehead:

Back to the topic. :blinking:

You do know that Pensacola is closer to Columbus, Ohio than it is to Key West?

Off-topic but humorous; during the years that I had a home in Key Largo, every Friday, people would ask "so are you going to Key West this weekend?" and I'd say "no, I never go to Key West" and they would get this strange look on their face. I'd continue "Key Largo is only 80 miles from here...Key West is 100 miles from Key Largo." They would reply "oh, I thought all the Keys were Key West." :shakehead:

Back to the topic. :blinking:

True, very true - folks don't realize just how big FL really is - heck, Pensacola is in a different time zone, on central time!

To the OP - Just plan on doing a lot of driving - KW alone is 150+ miles from Miami!

Not looking to annoy any of the lower west coast fans, but if you are coming south anyway on your trip to the Keys, a stop in Jupiter is a great idea - you can expect great diving, and often large animal encounters - Boynton, a little south, but still in Palm Beach county has great reefs - although if you only have a limited amount of time, I'd dive Jupiter.

Dont miss the Eagle Wreck in the upper keys its great fun.

Contact Silent World Dive Center in Key Largo they can get you to all the cool wrecks in the upper keys and will let you do double dips if you like.

Better yet since your into wrecks jump in on one of there Tek Light courses and start diving deco dives with doubles so you can get even longer dives to explore the wrecks.

SW has both recreational and technical guides to ensure you get the most out of your Keys wreck dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom