Lobster Regulations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soamelt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm familiar, or so i thought with the the Spiny lobster regulations in Florida. I was under the impression that the only regulated lobsters in the state where the Spiny Caribbean lobsters which is what we usually see down here. I was reading at FWC today and it seems the Spiny regulations are pretty general as in they include the entire Spiny family - Caribbean, Spotted, Smooth Tail. Can anyone clarify for me? Are all Spiny's regulated? In all the Spotted I have seen, rarely do they get above 3" for the carapace and 5" for the tail, plus they are near impossible to catch.

I know that Slipper's are not regulated, just can't spear or take egg bearing.

While I've always heard there was no specific "season" on Spanish/spotted lobster (far right in the pic), the FWC site does seem to lump them together as "spiny" lobster. I wouldn''t always trust the officer to know the difference anyway. And the one in the middle is a smooth-tail.

FWC Saltwater Fishing Regulations - Lobster

lobster.jpg

While I've always heard there was no specific "season" on Spanish/spotted lobster (far right in the pic), the FWC site does seem to lump them together as "spiny" lobster. I wouldn''t always trust the officer to know the difference anyway. And the one in the middle is a smooth-tail.

FWC Saltwater Fishing Regulations - Lobster

lobster.jpg

It was that page/pic that had me doubting some of my past catches of what I thought was non-regulated lobster.

Its a shame that our Fish and Game laws have gotten to the point one has to be both a biologist and an attorney to go fishing.

Pursuant to an inquiry by me with Fish and Game, I have an email from about 2 years ago that I got back from a Grouper Trooper biologist stating that the little spotted guys are fair game all year.
No eggs, and no holes though.
You used to be able to poke them just a while ago.
But they closed that off.
On the bright side, I caught one of the little guys that was actually carrying a 3 1/4" carapace a few years ago.
I ate Mighty Mouse, and he was delicious.

Chug
Like to eat sea roaches.

Just thought I'd resurrect this old thread since I found some more info today.

According to this link only the Caribbean spiny lobsters are regulated.

as noted in the monroe county regulations(on the direct link noted in a previous thread); the harvest of spanish and slipper lobster are prohibited in the key largo and looe key exsisting management areas as well as other no take zones(SPA) within the FKNMS. such harvesting is also prohibited in john pennekamp coral reef state park. for the upper keys it's essentially(shoreline out to 300ft)from just south of molasses reef-rodriguez key north to the whistle buoy.
iv'e never seen or heard of any smooth-tail spiny's caught in these waters,,,,

reefman
key largo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom