Gear envy...what's yours?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mselenaous

Island girl
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Key Largo, FL... Dive Capital of the World
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Scuba is one of those sports that just when you think you've got everything you need, there's just one more thing added to the list.

Yesterday, I made several challenging dives (including one night dive) in poor vis, silty, surgy conditions. Having worked in the dive industry the past 5 yrs, I've never bought a light. My big assortment of lights have been gifts from employers, manufacturer's reps, etc. Although all have been adequate for those warm water clear dives where you can see the moon from 40 ft. deep, I could light up my buddy's fins an arm's length away. I could, however, see the faint glow of his can light a body length away as a beacon while trying not to swim right into the wreck. I now have can light envy!

Every new challenge comes with yet another pricey gear solution. So what's on your gear envy list?

Last edited:
Oh, Elena, don't buy a Light Cannon. A 10W HID canister light with Goodman handle is a HUGE step up from there!

Over the past four and a half years, I have slowly but surely accumulated almost everything I could envy. My envies are now in the ridiculous range -- I envy a friend his 36 foot cabin cruiser cum dive boat, although I wouldn't want the expense or the work of maintaining it. I envy him his fill station, although I wouldn't want to keep it operating.

Mostly, I envy skills. I know people I'd kill for the things they can do that I can't :D

It has mainly been doubles this year but I have had generous friends to loan me doubles or ponies if I require redundant gas during a dive. But they are often setup differently to what I would like, and some bits might be missing so I have to organise between a bunch of people to get the right gear. I mean it is real nice to get loans but it is better to have your own gear I think :) I'm buying my own at the moment.

I have been loaned a cannister light for a course I'm doing now and now I want one of those. But am flat broke now after forking out for twins!

I also have been loaned much better cameras than my own and sometimes it sucks to compare my shots with those to the ones I get with my current $50 u/w camera setup.

I also would like proper thermals (mine are $20 t-shirts from Aussie Disposals), my own reels, my own stage bottle, and a scooter. The last one is years away though :wink:.

I also envy trips! I have to pick between buying gear and buying trips usually. 2009 was trips, 2010 will be gear.

I agree with the borg queen. I used the Light Canon HID 100 and at the time it was a decent light, nothing beats a canister light. You can get decent 10w HID's or even 12w LED's now that compete with the light quality for about 2x the price of the Light Canon. Having both hands available when using an HID makes a huge difference.

Besides that, I have no assimilated every piece of gear yet. My current envy lies with dive skills. There are people I just with I could be like in the water. Having the right gear helps a lot but the skills are what I envy right now.

And if you ultimately do decide you want a Light Canon, I have one to sell that I only used 5x each for lobster hunting back in 2008. I'm also in SoCal (Orange County) but I would much prefer you get a Canister Light, you'll be really happy you did.

Oh, Elena, don't buy a Light Cannon. A 10W HID canister light with Goodman handle is a HUGE step up from there!

:bonk:Sorry I shouldn't be posting when tired and imbibbing...I meant can lights. The last thing I did before leaving work today was unpack a light canon. The Aquasun LEDs are kewler than the light canons but if I'm gonna make the jump it will be an Evel Knievel canyon crossing leap.

I have been loaned a cannister light for a course I'm doing now and now I want one of those. But am flat broke now after forking out for twins!

Ditto here after the White's Fusion and thermals. Gotta rob a bank first.

Can light...the more powerful the better...I want to light up an undewater pro-football stadium with my knuckles (Like Wolverine with his knuckle blades).

Thanks for the offer leabre! Maybe we'll cross dive paths soon.

Except for the camera I want, I have most of the gear I need.

I did notice that when my wife and I got married, she had more power tools than I do.
I have tool envy.

Scooter boots, but don't ask me any questions 'cause I think I'm not supposed to know about them. :)

Greetings mselenaous and I am with you 100% there is always a missing piece to the mountain of gear. My wife thinks I am insane at times but when we are diving she see's the practicality of my disease.
On the can light I am sold as the others have mentioned. I never thought I would spend a lot on a light till you dive one. My 10 watt has been developing issues and it is time for a change. I have been around Dive Rite and the new Light Monkey can lights both are really awesome lights. I am considering the LED Light Monkey it has a incredible spot and yet good scatter. On a dive on Sunday I saw the 35 watt HID Light Monkey at depth and it was very impressive. I am interested in the 21 watt before I jump into the HID pool. The Dive Rite LUX LED is a nice light but throws a star pattern and lacks the scatter of the others. Still nothing wrong and not our of the running by any means.
Lights are a necessity and should be prioritized as such and best to have enough rather than not enough. Good luck and have fun, try as many different lights as you can before you buy anything. I always love to give a test dive or witness them on a dive to get a fair representation on a lights abilities.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom