Shark saving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shark fin soup, just like cocaine consumption, will be around so long as there is an appetite for it, people willing to buy it and someone who is willing to supply it, which creates a profitable market. The way to stop this BS is to somehow remove the profit or the buyer. Three hundred bucks for a bowl of soup is the driver. Those who can afford this type of activity, who are the people you need to reach, probably don't dive a damn about sharks, just the soup. The Middle Eastern countries would come up with a cure for this activity pretty quickly.

Yes, you are right.

The big problem is: the number of those who can afford to eat shark fin soup is growing constantly.

Shark fin soup, just like cocaine consumption, will be around so long as there is an appetite for it, people willing to buy it and someone who is willing to supply it.............

Too true, the other factor that comes into play is that sharks are not perceived of as cute and cuddly. Seals & dolphins have great PR appeal, sharks have a very bad rep as killing machines that are just lurking offshore waiting to gobble us up..

If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts. (Einstein)

Thanks Uli. It's always nice to see campaigns on fighting the shark fin trade.

For everyone concerned with the issue, Chinese New Years is coming up in February 2010 - a popular time for shark fin soup. There will be campaigns highlighting this dreadful practice around this time so please get involved!

You know, it wouldn't be so bad if these jerks would eat the whole shark. Maybe they wouldn't have to kill so many.

When I was in Japan last month I walked out of a restaurant when I noticed it had Shark fin soup on the menu. Unfortunately, right here in Los Angeles many restaurants are serving it...

mission261_top_menu

When will these people realize that this is not alright and totally unsustainable :(

Education and boycott are a few ways to try to save the shark populations. Supporting organizations that fight/lobby/protect sharks is another way. Shark is used in hundreds of products, from cartilage medications to makeup. Read the labels and seek out alternatives. Educate those around you including children. I go to schools regularly and do presentations on shark conservation. I am a volunteer diver with the SRI and have done expeditions with their whaleshark programs. We, as divers can do alot to promote a positive image for sharks and to fight for their survival.

Thank you for the thread Mobula!
Carolyn:shark2:

I did a lifetime adoption for a whaleshark. The name is Cal and it is swimming somewhere in East Africa.

In my company I spoil eating fish to everyone at my table every day :)

I wish Merry Christmas to all forum members and of cause all the sharks

Back
Top Bottom