doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterDawg

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guy,

I want to start diving doubles, and was wondering what was the best way to go about doing that. I only have about 95 dives and was also wondering if I have enough experiance. I know its super expensive, but I really think its the next step.
help me!

Hey Dawg:

I just got into the whole doubles thing myself. I had the same number of dives as you, and didn't feel overwhelmed by the extra tank.
Some things to consider are
1)exposure protection- Im not sure what temp the water is around you (I dive in cold water, and had to get a dry suit, or else the extra gas on my back would have been wasted because I would have had to come up due to cold anyway)
2) Further certification -Either Nitrox or decompression or both (otherwise what is the point of the extra gas.....you need to be able to use the bottom time somehow)
3) Physical ability.....depending on the size/material of your doubles, they can get pretty heavy. In my opinion, that is the only reason that people would not be able to dive doubles.
4) Bouyancy concerns- you must have a kit with enough lift to support the doubles....this may mean purchasing more or different equipment (new bc or wing, lift bag, or drysuit) Redundancy is important too, since swimming up a set of doubles after bouyancy failure is far tougher than swimming up an AL80.

Other than that, I find the doubles easier to find trim with, and they are no problem under water......up top they are a bit of a hassle, and learning how to route the hoses and such to make them convenient is tricky, but nothing you cant handle. Getting set up so you can reach the valves and isolator is another skill set, but again, not beyond most folks.
Beware of "the logical" train of thought however.....ie "since I now have doubles, it would be logical for me to have.........." I've been following this train now for about 6 months, and am almost broke now:D . Keep telling yourself (and your significant other) that you are buying the gear to make yourself a safer, more competent diver.

Good luck.

Wetvet

Why do you want to start diving doubles?

...have you considered taking a 'technical' diving class? I took my 1st tech class 4 months ago (advanced nitrox + deco procedures) where doubles were required. I rented a pair of LP 95 steels for the class, and shortly there after purchased my own OMS 85 cu. ft. LP steel twinset.

It's a good way to get introduced to doubles under safe conditions, so you can make a better choice as to exactly what you want.

The biggest ' problem' I've encountered is handling a twinset topside. Be realistic about your physical strength, and the 'logistics' of lugging them around, and gearing up and having to climb up or down hills/rocks.....or clamber aboard a wave-tossed boat.

I made it through the class OK, but decided LP 95's were just a bit more weight than I wanted to mess with.....so I down-sized to a LP85 twinset......still enough capacity to be useful without overwhelming me on land......I was surprised at how much more user-friendly they were based on my own physical size/strength.

I'd advise against buying without trying......you may make an expensive mistake.

Also, evaluate your goals to determine the sort of air-capacity you'll need.........you may be 'forced' to buy large doubles depending on your dive profiles, and just have to suffer through the topside handling issues to be able to achieve your goals once underwater.

I know I spent a LONG time researching my decision, but in the end I'm sure I made the correct one for my needs.

Karl

I recently started diving double 72's with a isolation manifold. I like the idea of having the extra air in case me or my buddy needs it on some of our deeper dives. Its also nice to have redundant first stages and be able to isolate either one of those should a hose rupture and still be able to use the air from both tanks. I am also looking at taking some more advanced courses in the future which is another reason. It doesnt weigh a whole lot more than my LP95 on the surface and trims out easily in the water. Overall its my most favorite set up now for diving.

munin asks the most important question: Why?

Secondly, this topic has been beat to death/well answered at least a dozen times before; please use the search function which will give you far more complete answers than this note will garner (the regulator contributors that are in the know are tired of answering the same questions over and over, so are unlikey to answer it yet again here).

Roak

roakey once bubbled...
(the regulator contributors that are in the know are tired of answering the same questions over and over, so are unlikey to answer it yet again here).
Roak

Unless im reading this wrong, are you saying that ONLY the REGULATORS are in the know on doubles? or did you mean the REGULAR contributors. :confused: :D

Two things about doubles.

1) Buy steel

2) Use a BP and Wings with it.

No I'm NOT advocating DIR, I'm simply pointing out that a BP and wings will better support the weight, and offer more options in lift capacity as well as optional equipment in the future.

pt40fathoms once bubbled...
Two things about doubles.

1) Buy steel

2) Use a BP and Wings with it.

No I'm NOT advocating DIR, I'm simply pointing out that a BP and wings will better support the weight, and offer more options in lift capacity as well as optional equipment in the future.

Careful with that advice pt40. If someone doesn't dive a drysuit, it might not be the best idea to put them in a set of steel twins as they could potentially be very overweighted depending on the size of the tanks.

Yeah, don't buy steel doubles unless you own a drysuit. If you only have a wetsuit, dive double AL80s...this is what I do.

Just go buy two tanks, a manifold, a set of bands and a proper wing and put them together. Doubles are easy to get used to. Do a couple of practice dives first though.

Back
Top Bottom