Should young divers use computers (split from Which computer thread)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

budgy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps I should of asked why would anyone want to buy a teenager a dive computor? Whilst I can obviously read that somebody wants a recommendation for a computer I honestly believe buying a comparitively new diver a computor is a mistake and doing them a dis-service. Asking me why I have this opinion and discussing our preferences and prejudices, might have resulted in a conversation that was illuminating and entertaining for both of us.:)

Last edited:
Perhaps you should start your own thread.

Perhaps you should start your own thread.

Your diving profile is very impressive. I've seen Sunntos and Aladins lock up and lock out basic information like max depth actual depth and elapsed dive time underwater during a dive. I've seen divers so fixiated on computors their incapable of doing a proper ascent. I also often find that the average joe that learns to dive with a computer, has no idea, what no stop zone depth times are and probably never will. Their often incapable of diving without a computer. Your experience isn't any less than mine and in some aspects, more so. Why you'd recommend a computer for your friends son, has left me wondering if your thread is just advertising to sell dive gear.

Last edited:
From the previous thread:

I would be more than happy to start a new thread with you about the experience level at which we should allow divers to purchase a computer but I don't really know how to split this thread. An educational debate would be entertaining and appreciated but the OP was only interested in which computer to buy, hence my beef.

To start off ours: I may be the exception to the rule but I started diving with a computer only 1 year after certification and was fascinated by the science and methodology of decompression theory. That being said, I always carry back-up tables and pre-plan a dive even though I have 2 computers calculating deco schedules on the fly. I NEVER dive off schedule. Just because I started with a computer, doesn't mean I ended up or started with an empty brain. Computers provide accurate information and a safety net (not substitute), they should not replace ones brain. EDUCATION is key, not the product. If the diver is taught to think critically, I don't see why the computer would prevent him from thinking or provide him a false sense of security. I believe your comment to the OP's friend is quite presumptuous, maybe the kid does know what he's doing. I am interested to hear what you have to say but maybe it should be elsewhere...

Warmly,

Zach

I kinda think it's a bad idea for any new diver, regardless of age, to start right off with a computer for reason's others have stated. Learn the basics of square profiles, then add the computer.

I kinda think it's a bad idea for any new diver, regardless of age, to start right off with a computer for reason's others have stated. Learn the basics of square profiles, then add the computer.

Dude, this thread is split off from another thread. Did you read the other thread? The teenager in question has nearly as many dives as you, and he can do a 400 meter swim in a time that would score a 5!

I learned to use a real camera with a manual focus 35 film camera

I dive an air intergrated wireless computer. And I recommend it to everyone as flawless.

I think that young divers should be required to use computers. A dive computer correctly setup is much better than 'tables'

I looked around for a depth gauge + timer option that'd be less than a second computer.. Couldn't find anything other than suunto's analogue gauge and a momentum that would've been cheaper than a gekko(I just have a b&g spg on my HP hose), and probably more cumbersome to use.

Is this really safer than getting a simple nitrox capable computer for $200-300?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom