Nikon 16-85mm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

philmayer

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently purchased a Nikon 16-85mm lens for underwater use on my D200.

According to the port chart here: Nikon SLR Port Chart, I need the 5510.28 stalk to use with my 8" dome port. The 5509.28 zoom and clamp was included with my housing. I've been using it successfully with my 12-24mm for several years.

Has anyone tested the 16-85mm with the 5509.28? Because it doesn't work.

When I mount the lens on the housed body, then put the clamp ring on the lens and the zoom ring in the housing, the clamp ring and zoom ring overlap less than 1/2". Every time that I try to zoom in or out, the zoom ring gear jumps and the teeth clash. There isn't enough contact between the clamp and zoom ring to generate enough torque to zoom the lens. The zoom ring for the lens is further from the lens mount than any of my other Nikon lenses. The 5509.28 sleeve isn't nearly long enough for this combo to work.

Can someone tell me how to make this lens work?

Make sure the port/port body is locked down on the housing front before attempting to turn the lens. The port body secures the sleeve in a fixed rotational position. This means that a 1/2" overlap of the sleeve to the clamp should be sufficient to turn the lens. If not, try adding the thinnest rubber strips (that came with the #5509.28 package) to the inner diameter of the clamp, and then retry. Make sure the clamp's black tabs are pointing downward toward the housing and the clamp is moved as far down on the lens zoom sleeve as possible.

Regards,

I've already done both.

I've been using the 5509.28 set with my 12-24mm for several years and never had an issue.

The setup works fine if I'm zooming out -- that is, moving the lens from 85mm to 16mm.

It's when trying to move from 16mm to 85mm that it fails.

OK, I think I got it.

Luckily I had a pack of rubber strips with me.

I added a second layer of the thin rubber strips to the inside of the clamp. Now it seems to be working. I'm not sure it's the best long-term solution, but hopefully it will get me through this trip.

Thanks Brett!

Back
Top Bottom