black mask for claustrophobic diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neopluredon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hi all!

i am planning to buy a dive mask for my sister tomorrow as a christmas gift. her favorite color is black but i was wondering if the color will actually affect her if she's claustrophobic.

i'm picking aqualung because the silicon is soft and comfy enough for equalisation and it's the only brand, which is "friendly" to our slim and pointy little noses. i ahve an aqualung and i am planning to buy the same model for my sister

As long as it has a good sized glass area, I shouldn't think the color of the skirt would matter. The skirt is way out in the peripheral vision, anyway.

As long as it has a good sized glass area, I shouldn't think the color of the skirt would matter. The skirt is way out in the peripheral vision, anyway.

thanks :) i brought her to our lds before and tried on some black masks but never get to like them because there are black areas blocking her eyesight... i'm not sure if my aqualung model has a frame large enough for a claustrophobic diver. i guess i will have to look for other models or brands which have soft silicon around the nose area.

I tend to suggest clear skirts to people who have issues with being claustrophobic although TS is right about it being outside of the sight range the clear skirts do allow for more light to enter the mask which tends to make people feel like they can see more even though they can't.

Best luck I have had with claustrophobic students is putting them in masks where even the frame is outside of there field of view.

Atomic Aquatics Frameless is another good choice - very wide field of vision, in fact the widest according to Scuba Diving Magazines "mask round-up" a year or so ago.

It's a very "low volume" mask, which brings the glass closer to your face. This tends to be good for people who have a touch of claustrophobia as there's less of the "inside of the mask" in front of your face.

atomic_less.gif

Comes in two different sizes as well, so ability to get a good fit might be better.

A contrarian thought on clear mask skirts: many people are a bit leery about what might be lurking just outside their field of view, particularly claustrophobic people. The downside to a clear mask skirt letting light in is that the simple interplay of natural shadows and light can be perceived as "there's something moving...just over there...YIKES!"

:shocked2:

for claustrophobic people the recommended mask is actually clear silicone because it lets light in.
the black ones are considered more useful because they block out the light except for your lens- which can enhance the claustrophobia.
personally i dive with a black mask (mares star mask made with extra low volume especially for free-diving and spear-fishing) that has an incredible silicone skirt and great field of vision.

I would stay with the single pane of glass type, it's what I have because the center obstruction on two glass ones just bugs me
I have a Tusa Visulator that looks very much like the Atomic one that RJP posted.
I have both a clear skirt and a black skirt one and the black skirt one is the one I preferr

I'm a bit claustrophobic and I prefer clear skirts. I have no idea if the 2 things are related.

Honestly though, even though you think the same mask will fit her, a mask is such a personal decision it would be better if she can pick. Especially when you are are trying to figure out if she would prefer clear or black - she's really the best person to answer that, not us. I know it's not as much fun., but gift certificate? Or at least make sure the store will allow you to exchange it.

As far as her liking black, there will be plenty of everything else black for her to wear!

Being claustrophic (to the point that the type of mask you wear can make a difference) just might be a contraindication to diving.

Sure it's a case by case thing, but it oughta be a consideration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom