basic pole spear question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skimphish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
this is probably a stupid question, but ill ask anyways. how do you enter the water with a pole spear from a boat? the boat that i usually go on has like a 4-5ft drop down to the water, so i didnt know if there was a right or wrong way to hold the spear, or if u just made sure that when u hit the water the spear wont stab you. thanks guys and gals!

jump in with it pointing up and away from your face. Of particular concern is to NOT get the loop of rubber on the butt end caught on a cleat or something as you leave the boat. I've only done that about a dozen times.

Jump in without it and have it handed in butt first.
i thought about this, but the way the boat is designed once your in the water its pretty difficult to get anything from the crew. like i said, its a good 4-5ft jump down into the water.
jump in with it pointing up and away from your face. Of particular concern is to NOT get the loop of rubber on the butt end caught on a cleat or something as you leave the boat. I've only done that about a dozen times.
lol, ill have to remember that. i figured as long as the point was facing away from me id be good, just didnt know if there was a proper way. thanks!

I use 8ft to 11ft (for blue water hungint) pole spears. I hold the spear with the tip in my hand if I am bailing out the way you describe and then the rest of the pole follows. Yes, you have to make sure the rubber does not get caught on something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom