Red Sea from Tel Aviv: Where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oira79

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm going to be in Israel on a business trip in February and would like to get in some diving. Where's the best place to go from there for a quick trip? I'm into fish, not so much crowds/nightlife. I haven't read anyone raving about the diving from Eilat, but Masa Alam, which appeals to me, sounds like it takes a real time and money (liveaboard) commitment. Any suggestions for a quick, fun itinerary?

I was in Eilat and had a great time diving there. Moses Rock is incredible and the dive operations are all good. It's a short and very inexpensive ($50) flight to Eilat. I also scooted over to Jordan to see Petra while I was there. That was pretty fun too. I would recommend Eilat based on my trip.

Marsa Alam is in the southern Egyptian Red Sea, which will be very far from your location.

I suggest you try Sinai. If you're not into crowds and prefer simple life, try Dahab. You can have a look at Dahab dive sites at SCUBA diving holidays in Dahab, South Sinai, Red Sea, Egypt

Marsa Alam is south of Egypt - quite o long way from Israel. The nearest in Egypt is Taba (Israeli - Egyptian boarder), then Dahab - these two are worth trying.

I think Eilat is just the place for you.

If you're into fish, and not expecting to see big game, then you'll just find it in Eilat- lots of species, easy diving, good operators and relatively "near".

If you are alone, you may find it difficult to find buddies at February (it's winter), but if you do- you won't need guided dives (it is not mandatory as in Egypt, for example).

Oira79 Hello
I just got back from Eilat about 10 days ago check out my letter about "Diving Eilat". Had a real good time. But if you are in Israel for a while try and check diving in the Med. North of Tel Aviv in Caesaria there's an underwater muesum its a shallow dive with much to sea{underwater Archealogy. If the weathers good the some really nice places up north near Nahariya about 2 hrs from Tel Aviv can be reached by train. So there you go more places then just Eilat. I'm a big fan of diving in the Med. Eilat is far and not as asscesable as the Med. AFter all I live 20 minutes from the Med, Enjoy your stay and if I can help let me know;
Rauven Schneider

Aqaba(Jordan)is pretty close.But frankly I don't know what's diving like.I suspect it might be good only for tekkies.

I dove Eilat also while on business in Tel Aviv - it was good diving and easy to coordinate.....

M

I'm going to be in Israel on a business trip in February and would like to get in some diving. Where's the best place to go from there for a quick trip? I'm into fish, not so much crowds/nightlife. I haven't read anyone raving about the diving from Eilat, but Masa Alam, which appeals to me, sounds like it takes a real time and money (liveaboard) commitment. Any suggestions for a quick, fun itinerary?
How many days are you considering? If you're after a couple of dives, then it's simply isn't worth the hassle (and cost) of traveling for long distances. On the other hand, if you have several days free for diving, then one thing to think of is that you're like 10,000 miles away from home and it's an excellent opportunity to get the best of your vacation and dive some world-class sites.

Thanks for all the replies. The business trip is still coming together, and that's my reason for going, so I can't fully plan my side trip yet. I like the idea of Eilat and Petra; I could see Jordan while I'm there, and maybe the Dead Sea as well.

Does anyone know if the diving from Aqaba is different/better/worse than the diving from Eilat?

I appreciate the help from people who've been there. I've done most of my diving in the Pacific, some in the Caribbean, none in the Middle East. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom