does diving ruin magnetic strips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be diving in bonaire in a couple of weeks, which apparently has quite a reputation for break-ins and theft. As I will be shore diving, it is recommended to takes keys with you while diving, but I am wondering what to do with my credit and ATM cards. Does extended submersion in salt water ruin magnetic strips?

Thanks...and Merry Christmas
Dave

I'm sure that if you look around you will find a keep-safe, waterproof bag for your cards. Otherwise leave them with someone you can trust or a hotel safe. If none of these ideas appeal to you try a ziplock baggie with ALL the air crushed out of it.

When I dive in Bonaire I carry a small Otter Box that will hold a truck key, some cash and a few credit cards. I also stretch a piece of inner tube over the latch to make sure it doesn't get bumped underwater. I replaced the cord lanyard with a bolt snap to secure it in my pocket. I probably have 100 dives using it with no leaks.

Waterproof Cases // OtterBox 1000 // OtterBox.com

I have never had any problem with getting key cards wet but the hotel clerk is always there so I don't worry about it. A small dry box will fit in a bathing suit pocket and do the job for $$ and CCs. Keep coins in the dry box also as Bonaire coins rust fairly quickly.

In answer to your question: No.

Nor does it hurt driver's licenses or cash.

Otter boxes are amusing but bulky, buoyant and not idiot proof... besides being unnecessary.

Stuff it in your BC and go diving. Ask rental car companies if you can go diving with the car key. They will tell you.

Ziplock baggies are excellent for carrots :bunny: or pot :hippy: Not so good for diving.

In answer to your question: No.

Nor does it hurt driver's licenses or cash.

Otter boxes are amusing but bulky, buoyant and not idiot proof... besides being unnecessary.

Stuff it in your BC and go diving. Ask rental car companies if you can go diving with the car key. They will tell you.

Ziplock baggies are excellent for carrots :bunny: or pot :hippy: Not so good for diving.

On the drivers license, it depends on the state issuing it. Some are not as robust with prolonged exposure to water.

I found the small soft waterproof pouches good for Drives License, CC and car keys. Cheap ($20), light and not buoyant. The one I use has a lanyard I put around my neck under my wetsuit so I cannot lose it.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Dec. 25 12.31.jpg
    ScreenHunter_01 Dec. 25 12.31.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 198

I dive with a Pelican 1010 case for keys etc. Pelican™ Products 1010 Micro Case
Bulky? This has not been my experience. 350 plus dives later and never a leak, nor has the catch come open.

Personally, I would not place too much faith in what rental car company employees actually know about electronic keys. Googling 'wet electonic car keys' nets things like this, which is why I dive with the Pelican case both with my own vehicle and with rental cars:

car keys - Page 3 - BSAC Scuba Diving Forums
"This is a big issue of which I have bitter experience. I own a mercedes S500 saloon with remote central locking, computers etc. Last year I took my key inside a dry suit in the sea off Whitby (UC70). Unfortunately my zip leaked and the key got wet. The resultant bill for access to my car and reprogramming all of the computers was in excess of £800 (not covered by insurance or warranty - A very expensive dive)."

Car keys and surfing on Yedda - People. Sharing. Knowledge.
Car Keys - wet, won't work!? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers

Granted, last time I was on Bonaire, the car keys were just metal, but who knows, maybe there are rental Mercedes there now :wink:

Other places also carry stuff like this:
Witz Camo Surfsafe Dry Case
I second Jim's recommendation. They also are available clear.

I've had the same one for over 5 years, holds my c-card (won't need it on Bonaire after BMP orientation) a couple credit cards, $20 and thin car keys. Never had a leak.

I take the keys and credit cards with me. They all have gotten wet no problems. The stores accept wet money they even laugh a little.

Have a great trip to Bonaire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom