Cressi Big eyes Evo VS Sherwood Mirage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Monarch_15w

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking at a couple of different masks for this year. I am a video guy and was wondering what everyone thought of the Cressi Big Eyes Evo or the Sherwood Mirage. I am looking to get a comfortable mask that fits good, but I can't decided. I am looking for someone who has dove either of the two for some advice.

I like a large range of view, too, for camera work, and in general.

I previously used the Cressi Big Eyes (looks the same as the Evolution), but switched to Wintech's M106 which provides an even bigger range of view.

The M106 is identical to the Tusa Visualator, but half the price ($33 at my local dive shop). Comes in black.

http://www.wintechscuba.com/32-masks

129-229-home.jpg

I've compared the view of the M106 to the Big Eyes and, although the M106 is only slightly bigger toward the bottom and sides, it's significantly bigger upward. Mainly, I like the fact that both eyes will often be able to focus together in an upward view because of the unobstructed single lens.

Volume is somewhat greater, but that isn't a concern for me.

Wintech states the M106 fits "large to extra large sized faces", but I have an average-sized face and it fits me well.

HTH. :)

Dave C

The Atomic Aquatics Frameless is a great choice you should also consider.

AA-framelessmask-3.jpg

Incredibly comfortable for sure, but one of the main benefits of the Atomic Frameless - especially for photo/video folks - is that it has a very wide field of view. In fact, according to Scuba Diving Magazine's "mask round-up" a year or so ago, the Atomic has the widest field of view:

"The shape of the Atomic Frameless lens was computer-designed to maximize field of view both side-to-side and vertically, and no other mask tested here could beat it. In both the full-sized version and the slightly narrower Medium Fit version, we measured an impressive 85 degrees of horizontal vision and 75 degrees vertical."

200802_frameless_masks_03a.jpg

Consider that there are two ways to improve field of view of a scuba mask:
  • make the lens bigger
  • place the lens closer to your face
The Atomic Frameless - as the name conveys - eliminates the frame, which improves the field of view in and of itself, and does give you a somewhat larger lens. However, it's also a very "low volume" mask, which brings the glass closer to your face. As a primary way to improve your field of view, this is a superior approach to merely increasing the size of the lens. Think about it this way: if you were looking out a window at your house - even a large picture window - where would you get the widest field of view? Standing on the opposite side of the room from the window, or standing with your face right up against the glass?

257Nobsc_Picture%20window%20view.jpg

Dave mentions the Tusa Visualator in a previous reply, which (like the Cressi Big Eyes) is a great example of the "make the lens bigger" approach to increasing field of view. I dove a Visualator for 100 dives when I first started diving precisely because of the desire to maximize field of view. Then I switched from the Visualator to the Atomic about two years ago. Gotta tell ya, there is no comparison whatsoever. These masks have nothing in common except for the fact that they are both scuba masks.

Hard to tell from any picture that doesn't have both in the same shot, but the Visualator is a very large, clunky, high-volume mask, with a pane of glass that is much taller and wider than the Atomic. Take a look at the pictures below and, for a pretty good frame of reference to compare the Tusa to the Atomic, focus on the nose pieces on the two masks: they are essentially the same size in real life. So use that to compare relative sizes of the lenses and masks overall:

tusa_visualator.gif

atomic_less.gif

More importantly, look at where the plane of each lens sits relative to the position of the nose pocket on each mask. You'll notice that the lens on the Tusa sits way out in front, almost beyond the tip of your nose. Compare that to the Atomic which has the lens in close, right over the bridge of your nose - about where a pair of glasses would sit. As the "picture window" example above illustrates, even though the Tusa may have "more glass" it holds the lens such a far distance from your eyes, that you actually get a SMALLER field of view than on the much more compact Atomic Frameless.

Unfortunately, while you get no improvement in field of view with a larger lens you will still pay the price of wearing a larger, clunkier, high-volume mask. The larger the mask, the greater likelihood of fogging, and the harder to clear if it leaks. But probably the worst part about diving with a high-volume/high-profile mask like the Visualator is that you can really feel it pulling on your face in even the slightest current. In fact you can feel it fighting to push against the water even just when turning your head from side to side.

Like the Visualator, the Cressi Big Eyes Evo - as the name suggests - seeks primarily to increase the field of view by increasing the size of the lenses. However the Cressi does slightly beat out the Visualator in that the Big Eyes does put the glass a little bit closer to your eyes than the Tusa. Looking at the pictures below you'll see that the lens plane of the Cressi is not out as far as the Tusa. However it's still significantly further away from your face than the lens on the Atomic:

CRS0083.jpg

atomic_less.gif

Specifically note on the Cressi how much of the mask's frame and skirt is actually BEHIND the lens. The net result of the Cressi Big Eyes Evo's design is that is provides a field of view that is no better vertically (75°), and actually NARROWER horizontally (80°) compared to the Atomic. And, like with the Visualator, not only does providing "more glass" not improve field of view with the Cressi, it also comes with all the drawbacks that accompany diving with a larger, clunkier, high-volume mask. Plus, due to the dual-lens design of the Cressi you also have to deal with a chunk of the frame cutting into your field of view in the middle of the mask.

Long story short - don't get tricked into just looking at the size of the lens when evaluating mask choices. The location of the lens and the overall design of the mask are much more important factors to consider.

Of course, comfort/fit is the most important factor in mask selection. The Atomic is extremely comfortable, and comes in two different sizes as well, so ability to get a good fit might be better than other masks that only come in one size. You can read a "mini review" of the Atomic that I posted on this page:

Atomic Aquatics Frameless Mask at www.DiveSeekers.com

Good luck in finding the best mask for you! Since the main reason we go underwater is to see what's down there, the mask is arguably the most important part of gear we have. The right mask can make the difference between an unforgettable dive experience and 45 minutes of underwater torture.

The problem with buying masks for me is trying to find one that fits properly. My garage is full of really cool looking masks that don't seal around my face. (Nothing ruins a dive like a leaking mask!) The biggest issue, as I see it, is the lack of inventory at Local Dive Shops. A mask is something one wants to try on before he purchases it and most dive shops I visit only have a handful of masks on hand. It is hit and miss. I suppose it would be nice if I ever came across any of them that had the entire lineup of masks for "any" manufacture. I understand the issue, it is just frustrating. After purchasing a thousand of them, I keep going back to an old SCUBAPRO tri-view relic because I can't find anything else that fits my narrow (evidently deformed) face.

Atomic frameless is pretty expensive though...

I didn't get into diving to save money, did you?

:eyebrow:

That said, the Scuba Diving Magazine mask review article had good things to say about the Tilos Excel as well:

"The Tilos Excel was the big surprise of this review. It had one of the widest fields of view and a budget-friendly price. With a wide bottom and teardrop shapes below the eyes, the lens favors downward viewing, great for finding belts and buckles on a BC. The top narrows at the temples but has high eyebrows that help when looking up."

Never seen one in person, but in photos it appears to keep the glass pretty close to your face...

msk110.jpg

Incredibly comfortable for sure, but one of the main benefits of the Atomic Frameless - especially for photo/video folks - is that it has a very wide field of view. In fact, according to Scuba Diving Magazine's "mask round-up" a year or so ago, the Atomic has the widest field of view:

"The shape of the Atomic Frameless lens was computer-designed to maximize field of view both side-to-side and vertically, and no other mask tested here could beat it. In both the full-sized version and the slightly narrower Medium Fit version, we measured an impressive 85 degrees of horizontal vision and 75 degrees vertical."

>>>Snipped a bit....<<<

Dave mentions the Tusa Visualator in a previous reply, which (like the Cressi Big Eyes) is a great example of the "make the lens bigger" approach to increasing field of view. I dove a Visualator for 100 dives when I first started diving precisely because of the desire to maximize field of view. Then I switched from the Visualator to the Atomic about two years ago. Gotta tell ya, there is no comparison whatsoever. These masks have nothing in common except for the fact that they are both scuba masks.

>>>Snipped a bit more<<<

Good luck in finding the best mask for you! Since the main reason we go underwater is to see what's down there, the mask is arguably the most important part of gear we have. The right mask can make the difference between an unforgettable dive experience and 45 minutes of underwater torture.

Very useful info, thanks! :)

However, "no comparison whatsoever"? "torture"? Sorry to say, but those observations really pique my curiosity. :wink:

If you'll indulge me a bit.... Did the magazine's review show a difference of more than 10 degrees horizontally and/or vertically between the Atomic and the Visualator?

I wasn't able to find the Scuba Lab review article from last year, but their July 21, 2009 issue shows a Tusa M-17 Concero model that appears similar to the Visualator. They list FOV specs of 75 degrees vertical (25 upward + 45 downward), 75 degrees horizontal. So, compared to the Atomic, it has the same FOV overall vertically, but 10 degrees less horizontally.

ScubaLab - Masks - The View | Scuba Diving Magazine

I'm also curious as to the figures on the Atomic's vertical FOV. From the images, the design appears it might have more downward FOV, but less upward FOV. Do you have those figures handy?

My point is that upward FOV is more important to me, since that's my primary direction of view when horizontal. Also, upward head tilt is more limited than a sideward turn of the head, another reason I value upward FOV most.

Horizontal FOV is definitely less important to me, since I typically turn my head anyway to avoid having the nose frame block one eye.

The extra $70 for an Atomic Frameless versus a Wintech M106 makes their specs worth comparing and might even make it worth giving up 10 degrees of horizontal FOV, IMHO. :D

Dave C

Thanks for all the great info this is defiantly the help I was looking for being a new member and all. What is your take on black skirt vs clear. I have my two instructors here saying that they don't like the black skirt due to a claustrophobic feel. but when I tried a buddy of mine's I did notice it was easier to see what was in the field of view do to the tinted window affect in low visibility. When you put your hands up to see in the window. how does that work in good vis better or worse.

Thanks for all the great info this is defiantly the help I was looking for being a new member and all. What is your take on black skirt vs clear. I have my two instructors here saying that they don't like the black skirt due to a claustrophobic feel. but when I tried a buddy of mine's I did notice it was easier to see what was in the field of view do to the tinted window affect in low visibility. When you put your hands up to see in the window. how does that work in good vis better or worse.

If you don't fee claustrophobic while diving currently, you don't have a problem in the first place. You'll be fine with black. I prefer it personally, as I don't like the "distraction" of light/shadow interplay through a clear skirt. You can't really SEE through the skirt, so there's no real value there from that aspect.

Black silicone tends to be the preference of photographers and hunters because it blocks out unwanted reflections that come through clear silicone skirts. It's similar to wearing a ball cap or visor to shade your eyes.

If you get a mask with a wide/tall enough field of view it won't be a problem since you won't really be able to see the mask skirt anyway.

Also note that...

- black silicone is softer than clear, due to different formulations between the two
- clear silicone will quickly begin to yellow, no matter what you do

Ultimately it's what's most comfortable for you, so try both out.

Back
Top Bottom