quick question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funnyfish22

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
im going on holidays in a few days:D and im just wondering if its OK to go skin diving in the afternoon if i have done two dives in the morning.:confused:

That should be fine, what you want to avoid is skin diving immediately after scuba dives. Just how long you should wait is not clear and depends on your scuba dives, gas load and bubble status, but a couple of hours after moderate dives should be OK.

Do you have a dive computer?

Some dive computers will do both FREE and SCUBA in the same day, tracking your nitrogen.

I've done a lot of free diving mixed with SCUBA diving. I simply change from SCUBA to FREE and off I go. You can see how the free diving actually affects your off gassing.

You should be fine with a good S/I. Also do a nice long safty stop on your last dive. That way you will be sure to off gas exess nitrogen. Have fun

Greetings funnyfish22 and We did precisely just what you are asking while on vacation a few years ago in Mexico. Our dives were fairly moderate and our computers were mostly clear. This after a long SI, lunch and little nap. We enjoyed a casual surface swim to a small reef with shallow free dives to 20' or so. It was very relaxing and super awesome. We actually visited this reef several days in a row which was interesting to watch the fish that called it home. Our nitrogen levels were always in check and one consideration is alcohol. We did not drink anything but water and juice till the evening meal and kept it to a minimum while we were diving. This was our practice until we were finished diving. Personally I would rather dive everyday morning and afternoon and snorkel / free dive when that was not possible. I could not get enough of it when I was there. Enjoy your trip and take every advantage to get in the water you can. Do not feel snorkel / skin diving is a slight I loved it and it added a great dynamic to our trip. It is fun to be out in the ocean just letting time pass and fish do what they do. No nasty bull sharks were seen, darn! I am to interested to be worried, my friends call me crazy.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

If you free dive too soon after scuba, it can be like shaking a carbonated beverage then opening it. :shocked2: It's a judgment call with little to base the call on really.

Some dive computers will do both FREE and SCUBA in the same day, tracking your nitrogen.

I've done a lot of free diving mixed with SCUBA diving. I simply change from SCUBA to FREE and off I go. You can see how the free diving actually affects your off gassing.
I think I put my Oceanic on Guage mode once, and I think it stayed on that until it powered off. Could not get it back to scuba.

I think I put my Oceanic on Guage mode once, and I think it stayed on that until it powered off. Could not get it back to scuba.

GUAGE mode and FREE mode are two very, very different modes.

When the computers are in FREE mode, that sample ever second, at least, and once you surface that start a timer so that you can track you SI between free dives. Once you descend again, they start the dive again. In FREE mode they track your nitrogen loading.

Most computers will easily let you switch between FREE and DIVE modes throughout the day.

Most of us are familiar with GUAGE mode as your traditional depth and bottom timer. In GUAGE mode, they don't track your nitrogen loading.

Most computers will lock you out of anything but GUAGE mode for 24 hours after you put it into GUAGE.

You should be fine with a good S/I. Also do a nice long safty stop on your last dive. That way you will be sure to off gas exess nitrogen. Have fun

Greetings funnyfish22 and We did precisely just what you are asking while on vacation a few years ago in Mexico. Our dives were fairly moderate and our computers were mostly clear. This after a long SI, lunch and little nap. We enjoyed a casual surface swim to a small reef with shallow free dives to 20' or so. It was very relaxing and super awesome. We actually visited this reef several days in a row which was interesting to watch the fish that called it home. Our nitrogen levels were always in check and one consideration is alcohol. We did not drink anything but water and juice till the evening meal and kept it to a minimum while we were diving. This was our practice until we were finished diving. Personally I would rather dive everyday morning and afternoon and snorkel / free dive when that was not possible. I could not get enough of it when I was there. Enjoy your trip and take every advantage to get in the water you can. Do not feel snorkel / skin diving is a slight I loved it and it added a great dynamic to our trip. It is fun to be out in the ocean just letting time pass and fish do what they do. No nasty bull sharks were seen, darn! I am to interested to be worried, my friends call me crazy.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

GUAGE mode and FREE mode are two very, very different modes.

When the computers are in FREE mode, that sample ever second, at least, and once you surface that start a timer so that you can track you SI between free dives. Once you descend again, they start the dive again. In FREE mode they track your nitrogen loading.

Most computers will easily let you switch between FREE and DIVE modes throughout the day.

Most of us are familiar with GUAGE mode as your traditional depth and bottom timer. In GUAGE mode, they don't track your nitrogen loading.

Most computers will lock you out of anything but GUAGE mode for 24 hours after you put it into GUAGE.
You folks are missing the point, it is not the nitrogen uptake during free diving that is the issue, it is bubble pumping. See this thread, starting with my post #18.

the bubble pumping article sounds very interesting. How does one get access to read it?

He posted that thread in the Instructors only forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom