Tanks and weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaspider

Reaction score
I was wandering if ne one knows the weight configurement for an average steel tank. I'm used to an AL80 and might be inheriting/using a steel tank, I dont know what size it is but i'm assuming that it is the standard/average tank size someone would buy.

Thanks for your help,

:spider:

The standard steel 2250 psi 72 cu ft scuba tank weighs 29.5 lbs without the valve. Bouyancy is -2.0 lbs when full and +3.5 when empty.

They also hold 71.55 cu ft at 2475psi ("+" rated 10% overfill) and 65.08 cu ft at the non-plus rated service pressure of 2250 psi.

Al 80 vary a bit by manufacturer, but on average an AL 80 weighs 31.7 lbs. Bouyancy is - 1.9 lbs when full and +4.0 lbs when empty. They also hold 77.4 cu ft , not 80 cu ft.

The following is a good link for tank specifications. They cover current production tanks as well as tanks that are no longer produced.

http://www.diverlink.com/gear/tankspecifications.htm

The AL numbers look ok. The steel numbers are way off.
My steel 72's (US Divers) are 5 pounds negative with valve and regulator (USD Micra/SEA) at 500 psi; my AL 80's are just under a pound positive - IOW in an "apples-to-apples" comparison there's about a 6 pound difference in buoyancy between the two.
As a practical matter, when shifting from an AL 80 to a steel 72, I take six pounds of lead off my weightbelt to achieve the same buoyancy.
Rick

Back
Top Bottom