Looking for a new mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mermoose

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone used the Atomic Ultra clear sub? It's pricey, but, Scubatoys has a great return policy if I am not entirely happy with it even after using it. I am willing to consider spending the bucks IF it is worth it. I have high cheek bones and want a low profile mask. My current favorite is a Cressi Horizon, they don't make them anymore and mine is in pretty rough shape. Our dive master found it on a dive in Cozumel. It cost 20 dollars and 3 kisses :kiss2:
That was several years ago, I'd love to find another sweet deal like that one, but, I won't be holding my breath 'till then.
Another pricey one that gets great reviews is the Mares liquidskin. Any comments on that or the Mares Demon. I found a really good price on the Demon but it doesn't say it is low profile.

A friend of mine was given an Atomic be cause the guy that owned it could not get it to stop leaking. He was so mad that he gave it away. It fit my friend perfectly and does not leak a drop.

I tried it one day and was amazed at the wide field of view and the clear glass (his was also the coated glass). I instantly fell in love. I also was ready to spend the Big Bucks, but.... Tried on three different dives to use the mask and not have it leak. Strap tight, strap loose, strap high and low on the back of my head. Nothing I did would make it stop leaking.

Ended up buying a Oceanic Shadow from a dealer that said "Take it diving and if it doesn't work bring it back and we'll trade for another till we can find a mask that fits.

The Oceanic worked good for me. You have to find a good fit that will work good for you. No matter how expensive or how cheap, or what someone else says is a great mask.

How right you are! Ain't the price, it's all in the fit. Features are nice too! It is so great to have a dive shop that will let you try before you buy. Could you see your feet with the Atomic? Without great effort that is? That is one of the things I like about my mask. The lenses angles down providing a much better field of vision downward too.

I use the Atomic Sub-Frame and like it so much I bought a second one as a back up. At this point, I plan to be a customer for life. Why mess with success.

But as others have noted, fit is everything when it comes to masks.

I've had an Atomic for a couple of years. It's the first mask I've had (out of about a dozen) that has consistently done what a mask is supposed to do--provide a good, clear field of vision with no leaks. I definitely recommend it.

Has anyone used the Atomic Ultra clear sub? It's pricey, but, Scubatoys has a great return policy if I am not entirely happy with it even after using it. I am willing to consider spending the bucks IF it is worth it. I have high cheek bones and want a low profile mask. My current favorite is a Cressi Horizon, they don't make them anymore and mine is in pretty rough shape.

My favorite was also the Horizon ! At the time, it fit much better than any other - I've tried on ~ 100 masks. After mine "disappeared", I tried on an Atomic Ultraclear Frameless ( in their smaller size ). It's perfect for my narrow face & high cheekbones and is low-profile. The field of view is great, and the overall quality is very good.

One day, on a trip, I forgot to pack my mask.
icon_redface.gif
The nearest dive shop had Atomic masks, so I stopped there. They didn't have a Frameless, so I got the Sub-Frame. The dry fit was reasonably good, but the fit was very poor in the water. ( I did return the mask.) Two seemingly similar masks, with very different results. Try them both, if you can !

Wow, Great info all. I really appreciate it :wink:. I have decided to try the Tilos frameless and exchange it for the Atomic if I am not happy with it.
Scubatoys allows store credit if you dive it and don't like it.I can't try it until mid Jan. :d
Thanks for the heads up on the two different styles. Would never had guessed.

Thanks for the heads up on the two different styles. Would never had guessed.

Note that both Atomic masks each come in two different SIZES - Regular and Medium.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom